Scientific style and format : the CSE manual for authors, editors, and publishers
- Style Manual Subcommittee, Council of Science Editors.
- Eighth edition.
- Chicago : The University of Chicago Press : Council of Science Editors, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xv, 722 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
Marine Biology Library (Miller)
|T11 .S386 2014||In-library use|
- Council of Science Editors. Style Manual Subcommittee, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 699-707) and indexes.
- Publishing fundamentals
- Elements of a scientific publication
- Publication policies and practices
- The basics of copyright
- General style conventions
- Alphabets, symbols, and signs
- Punctuation and related marks
- Spelling, word formation and division, plurals, and possessives
- Prose style and word choice
- Names and personal designations
- Type styles, excerpts, quotations, and ellipses
- Numbers, units, mathematical expressions, and statistics
- Time, dates, and age measurements
- Geographic designations
- Special scientific conventions
- The electromagnetic spectrum
- Subatomic particles, chemical elements, and related notations
- Chemical formulas and names
- Chemical kinetics and thermodynamics
- Analytical chemistry
- Drugs and pharmacokinetics
- Genes, chromosomes, and related molecules
- Taxonomy and nomenclature
- Structure and function
- Disease names
- The earth
- Astronomical objects and time systems
- Technical elements of publications
- Journal style and format
- Published media
- Accessories to text: tables, figures, and indexes
- Typography and manuscript preparation
- Proof correction.
- Publisher's Summary
- For more than fifty years, authors, editors, and publishers in the scientific community have turned to Scientific Style and Format for authoritative recommendations on all matters of writing style and citation. Developed by the Council of Science Editors (CSE), the leading professional association in science publishing, this indispensable guide encompasses all areas of the sciences. Now in its eighth edition, it has been fully revised to reflect today's best practices in scientific publishing. Scientific Style and Format citation style has been comprehensively reorganized, and its style recommendations have been updated to align with the advice of authoritative international bodies. Also new to the eighth edition are guidelines and examples for citing online images and information graphics, podcasts and webcasts, online videos, blogs, social networking sites, and e-books. Style instructions for physics, chemistry, genetics, biological sciences, and astronomy have been adjusted to reflect developments in each field. The coverage of numbers, units, mathematical expressions, and statistics has been revised and now includes more information on managing tables, figures, and indexes. Additionally, a full discussion of plagiarism and other aspects of academic integrity is incorporated, along with a complete treatment of developments in copyright law, including Creative Commons. For the first time in its history, Scientific Style and Format will be available simultaneously in print and online. Online subscribers will receive access to full-text searches of the new edition and other online tools, as well as the popular Chicago Manual of Style Online forum, a community discussion board for editors and authors. Whether online or in print, the eighth edition of Scientific Style and Format remains the essential resource for those writing, editing, and publishing in the scientific community.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780226116495 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0226116492 (cloth : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: