Essentials of igneous and metamorphic petrology
- Frost, Bryce Ronald, 1947-
- New York : Cambridge University Press, 2014.
- Physical description
- ix, 303 p. : ill. ; 29 cm
QE461 .F767 2014
- Unknown QE461 .F767 2014
- Frost, Carol D. (Carol Denison)
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 283-296) and index.
- 1. Introduction to igneous petrology-- 2. An introduction to igneous phase diagrams-- 3. Introduction to silicate melts and magmas-- 4. The chemistry of igneous rocks-- 5. Basalts and mantle structure-- 6. Oceanic magmatism-- 7. Convergent margin magmatism-- 8. Intracontinental volcanism-- 9. Intracontinental plutonism-- 10. Interpretation of granitic rocks-- 11. Introduction to metamorphic petrology-- 12. Interpretation of metamorphic phase diagrams-- 13. Metamorphic facies and the metamorphism of mafic rocks-- 14. Thermobarometry and the conditions of metamorphism-- 15. Metamorphism of peridotitic rocks-- 16. Metamorphism of pelitic rocks-- 17. Metamorphism of calcareous rocks and the role of fluids in metamorphism-- 18. Regional occurrence and tectonic significance of metamorphic rocks.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- All geoscience students need to understand the origins, environments and basic processes that produce igneous and metamorphic rocks. This concise textbook, written specifically for one-semester undergraduate courses, provides students with the key information they need to understand these processes. Topics are organized around the types of rocks to expect in a given tectonic environment, rather than around rock classifications: this is much more interesting and engaging for students, as it applies petrology to real geologic environments. This textbook includes over 250 illustrations and photos, and is supplemented by additional color photomicrographs made freely available online. Application boxes throughout the text encourage students to consider how petrology connects to wider aspects of geology, including economic geology, geologic hazards and geophysics. End-of-chapter exercises allow students to apply the concepts they have learnt and practice interpreting petrologic data.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- B. Ronald Frost, Carol D. Frost.
- 9781107027541 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 1107027543 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9781107696297 (paperback)
- 1107696291 (paperback)