Strike the rock and there shall come water : climate changes, water resources and history of the lands of the Bible
- Arie S. Issar.
- Cham : Springer, c2014.
- Physical description
- viii, 127 p. : ill. (some col.), maps ; 24 cm.
- SpringerBriefs in geography.
- Issar, A.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- 1. Caves, dripstones and soils tell about past climates
- 2. In the beginning
- 3. When Tiamat and Marduk ruled the worlds
- 4. Tiamat and Marduk depart, enter Adam and Eve the tool makers
- 5. Adam and Eve depart, enter Cain the planter and Abel the shepherd
- 6. The Deluge covers the Cradle of Civilization
- 7. From the Tower of Babel to the Laws of Hammurabi
- 8. From Shem the son of Noah to Abraham son of Terah
- 9. The destruction of Sodom and Gemorrah
- 10. Abraham explores the groundwater resources of the Negev
- 11. Egypt - a land like a garden of herbs
- 12. Foreign rulers - The Hyksos. Foreign climate - The Ten Plagues
- 13. Crossing the land of swamps and reeds
- 14. That great and terrible wilderness
- 15. To smite the rock and water shall come out.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This book presents an update and revision of the book Water Shall Flow from the Rock - Hydrogeology and Climate in the Lands of the Bible by A. Issar, published by Springer-Verlag in 1990. The enormous quantity and quality of new data added since 1990 called for a thorough update. Another reason for this work is the better understanding achieved since the initial book was published about the role which climate plays in shaping the history of the Lands of the Bible. Albeit the fact that the impact of climate change was touched upon rather widely in the first book, still, without interweaving the new data and understanding, the picture would have remained partial.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- SpringerBriefs in geography
- 3319019368 (pbk.)
- 9783319019369 (pbk.)
- 3319019376 (electronic bk.)
- 9783319019376 (electronic bk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: