A century of contributions to gifted education : illuminating lives
- edited by Ann Robinson and Jennifer L. Jolly.
- New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 319 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC3993 .C456 2014
- Unknown LC3993 .C456 2014
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface Contributors 1. Biography, History and Pioneering Ideas Ann Robinson 2. Sir Francis Galton: The Victorian Polymath (1822-1911) Joyce VanTassel-Baska 3. Alfred Binet: A Creative Life in Measurement and Pedagogy (1857-1911) Maria Pereira Da Costa, Franck Zenasni, Serge Nicolas, and Todd Lubart 4. William Edward Burghardt DuBois and the Talented Tenth (1868-1963) Frank C. Worrell 5. Great Investigators Jennifer L. Jolly 6. Lewis M. Terman: A Twisted Legacy (1877-1956) Daniel L. Winkler and Jennifer L. Jolly 7. Leta Stetter Hollingworth: A Life in Schools (1866-1939) Holly Hertberg-Davis 8. Catharine Morris Cox Miles and the Lives of Others (1890-1984) Ann Robinson and Dean Keith Simonton 9. Creativity, Cultural Diversity, and Crisis Jennifer L. Jolly 10. Paul Witty: A Gentleman Scholar (1898-1976) Jennifer L. Jolly and Jennifer H. Robins 11. Dr. Martin D. Jenkins: A Voice to be Heard (1904-1978) Joy Lawson Davis 12. Calvin W. Taylor: A Man of Many Talents (1915-2000) LeoNora M. Cohen, Kathy D. Austin, and Rebecca H. Odoardi 13. Illuminating Our Understanding of Creativity: The Life and Legacy of E. Paul Torrance (1915-2003) Thomas P. Hebert 14. Kazimierz Dabrowski: A Life of Positive Maladjustment (1902-1980) Marjorie M.K. Battaglia, Sal Mendaglio, and Michael M. Piechowski 15. Building Practice, Advocacy, and Policy Ann Robinson 16. Mariam L. Goldberg: A Scholar of First Rank (1916-1996) James H. Borland 17. A. Harry Passow: Curriculum, Advocacy and Diplomacy for Talent Development (1920-1996) Ann Robinson, Bronwyn MacFarlane, and Debbie Dailey 18. Virgil S. Ward: An Axiomatic Approach to Work and Life (1916-2003) Suzanna E. Henshon 19. Ruth May Strang: Leading Advocacy for the Gifted (1895-1971) Leonie Kronborg 20. Ann Fabe Isaacs: She Made Our Garden Grow (1920-2001) Karen B. Rogers 21. Mary M. Meeker: A Deep Commitment to Individual Differences (1921-2003) Jane Piirto and Susan Keller-Mathers 22. Sidney P. Marland Jr.: The Commissioner (1912-1992) Jennifer L. Jolly and Michael S. Matthews 23. Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- A Century of Contributions to Gifted Education traces the conceptual history of the field of gifted education. Bookended by Sir Francis Galton's Hereditary Genius published in 1869, and Sidney Marland's report to the United States Congress in 1972, each chapter represents the life and work of a key figure in the development of the field. While the historical record of gifted education has previously been limited, A Century of Contributions to Gifted Education explores the lives of individuals who made fundamental contributions in the areas of eminence, intelligence, creativity, advocacy, policy, and curriculum. Drawing heavily on archival research and primary source documentation, expert contributors highlight the major philosophical, theoretical, and pedagogical developments in gifted education over the course of a century, providing both lively biography and scholarly analysis.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780415898805 (hardback)
- 0415898803 (hardback)
- 9780415898812 (paperback)
- 0415898811 (paperback)
- 9780203154489 (ebk)
- 0203154487 (ebk)