Correlation analyses of encoded music performance [electronic resource]
- Jeffrey C. Smith.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource.
- Smith, Jeffrey C.
- Berger, Jonathan, primary advisor.
- Aquilanti, Giancarlo, 1959- advisor.
- Chafe, Chris, advisor.
- Stanford University Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics of the Department of Music.
- Correlation analyses of encoded music performance by a large and diverse international community of amateur performers afford insights into fundamental questions of musical behavior. By observing demographic data associated with a corpus of performance recordings, we can conjecture about cultural, geographical, topographical, socio-political, economic and other potential influences, and explore possible 'universals' in musical thought and practice. This study attempts to address questions of musical practices from an entirely novel perspective, specifically taking advantage of massively popular game-oriented music performance programs on mobile devices.
- Publication date
- Submitted to the Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics of the Department of Music.
- Thesis (Ph.D.)--Stanford University, 2013.
Browse related items
Start at call number: