Breaking the cycle : how schools can overcome urban challenges
- Nancy Brown Diggs ; foreword by Chester E. Finn, Jr.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Education, a division of Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xviii, 147 pages ; 24 cm.
- New frontiers in education.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC4093 .D39 D54 2013||Unknown|
- Diggs, Nancy Brown author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 135-139) and index.
- Foreword Preface Introduction Part I: Challenges Chapter 1 - Drugs Chapter 2 - Violence Chapter 3 - Single Mothers Chapter 4 - "Acting White" Chapter 5 - Inadequate Schools Part II: Overcoming the Challenges Chapter 6 - DECA: The Family Chapter 7 - The Miracle Workers Chapter 8 - Academics Chapter 9 - Raising the Bar Chapter 10 - Bumps in the Road Conclusion References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781475806113 20160614
- Publisher's Summary
- Breaking the Cycle tells the inspiring story of young people whom many would write off as a lost cause but who, thanks to a remarkable school, are headed for success. We learn about their world from teens like Shawna, the daughter of a crack-addicted mother. Or Andre, the only one in his family not on drugs. Or Daron, kicked out of his home by an abusive father. Challenged by the pernicious factors of their environment-drugs, violence, fatherless homes, and poor educational backgrounds-students at the Dayton Early College Academy are nevertheless beating the odds. All are headed for college, from which the vast majority will graduate. The book reveals how this school is succeeding when so many fail. It conveys the hopeful message that others can replicate much of what "DECA" does and save a generation mired in despair. America's failure to educate its urban children is evidenced by our woeful statistics. If it is possible to turn around this bleak picture-and it is-this is a story well worth telling. And this is what Breaking the Cycle aims to do. For more information on the book, including interviews with the author please check out www.nancybdiggs.com.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781475806113 20160614
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- New frontiers in education
- 9781475806106 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1475806108 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781475806113 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1475806116 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781475806120 (ebook : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: