Reloading data protection : multidisciplinary insights and contemporary challenges
- Serge Gutwirth, Ronald Leenes, Paul de Hert, editors.
- Dordrecht [Netherlands] : Springer, 
- Physical description
- xv, 369 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
Law Library (Crown)
|K3264 .C65 R43 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Data protection in Brazil : new developments and current challenges / Danil Doneda and Laura Schertel Mendes
- The effectiveness of redress mechanisms : case study, Poland / Dorota Głowacka and Beata Konieczna
- Forgetting, non-forgetting and quasi-forgetting in social networking : Canadian policy and corporate practice / Colin J. Bennett, Christopher Parsons and Adam Molnar
- The EU, the US and right to be forgotten / Paul Bernal
- Stage ahoy! Deconstruction of the "drunken pirate" case in the light of impression management / Paulan Korenhof
- New surveillance, new penology and new resistance : towards the criminalisation of resistance? / Antonella Galetta
- Surveillance and criminal investigation : blurring of thresholds and boundaries in the criminal justice system? / John A. E. Vervaele
- Privatization of information and the data protection reform / Els De Busser
- Quo vadis smart surveillance? How smart technologies combine and challenge democratic oversight / Marc Langheinrich, Rachel Finn, Vlad Coroama and David Wright
- Surveillance of communications data and Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights / Nora Ni Loideain
- Realizing the complexity of data protection / Marion Albers
- Forgetting about consent : why the focus should be on "suitable safeguards" in data protection law / Gabriela Zanifir
- "All my mates have got it, so it must be okay" : constructing a richer understanding of privacy concerns, an exploratory focus group study / Anthony Morton
- Data mining and its paradoxical relationship to the purpose limitation principle / Liana Colonna
- The cost of using Facebook : assigning value to privacy protection on social network sites against data mining, identity theft, and social conflict / Wouter Martinus Petrus Steijn
- Strong accountability : beyond vague promises / Denis Butin, Marcos Chicote and Daniel Le Métayer.
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume brings together papers that offer conceptual analyses, highlight issues, propose solutions, and discuss practices regarding privacy and data protection. The first section of the book provides an overview of developments in data protection in different parts of the world. The second section focuses on one of the most captivating innovations of the data protection package: how to forget, and the right to be forgotten in a digital world. The third section presents studies on a recurring, and still important and much disputed, theme of the Computers, Privacy and Data Protection (CPDP) conferences : the surveillance, control and steering of individuals and groups of people and the increasing number of performing tools (data mining, profiling, convergence) to achieve those objectives. This part is illustrated by examples from the domain of law enforcement and smart surveillance. The book concludes with five chapters that advance our understanding of the changing nature of privacy (concerns) and data protection.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- International conference proceedings.
- 9789400775398 (hd.bd.)
- 9400775393 (hd.bd.)
- 9789400775404 (online)
Browse related items
Start at call number: