Success academy : how native American students prepare for college (and how colleges can prepare for them)
- MaryJo Benton Lee.
- New York : Peter Lang, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiii, 187 pages ; 23 cm.
- Adolescent cultures, school & society ; vol. 65.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|E97 .L46 2013||Unknown|
- Lee, MaryJo Benton.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 167-180) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Picture two very different schools: one, a federal Indian boarding school emphasizing vocational training, where few graduates attend college. The other - its neighbour - an overwhelmingly white, land-grant university. These two schools had little to no contact, until an innovative initiative turned things around. In the fall of 2000, the Flandreau Indian School began a reform effort, Success Academy, aimed at preparing all of its students for post secondary education. Over the next decade South Dakota State University responded by committing 300 of its faculty and staff and $85,000 of its annual budget to opening the doors of higher education to Indian students who had previously been excluded. The traditional way of increasing college access for students of colour is through remediation, that is, through attempting to "fix" those presumed to be unprepared for higher learning. What sets Success Academy apart is that the educators involved chose instead to "fix" both their institutions, institutions that were actually preventing Indian students from entering college. Throughout all aspects of Success Academy programming, students' American Indian identities are affirmed, honored - and incorporated into school culture. Ethnicity matters in each and every aspect of Success Academy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781433119460 20160612
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Adolescent cultures, school and society ; vol. 65
- 1433119455 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781433119453 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1433119463 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781433119460 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781453911679 (e-book)
- 1453911677 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: