Masterclass in mathematics education : international perspectives on teaching and learning
- edited by Paul Andrews and Tim Rowland.
- London : Bloomsbury, 2014.
- Physical description
- xv, 223 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- MasterClass (Bloomsbury (Firm))
Education Library (Cubberley)
|QA11.2 .M2679 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Notes on Contributors Series Editor's Preface, Sue Brindley (University of Cambridge, UK) Preface, Paul Andrews (University of Stockholm, Sweden) and Tim Rowland (University of Cambridge, UK) Part I: Issues in Mathematics Education 1. What is Mathematics, and Why Learn It?, Paul Ernest (Exeter University, UK, and Brunel University, UK) 2. Learning and Knowing Mathematics, Stephen Lerman (London South Bank University, UK) 3. Improving Assessment in School Mathematics, Jeremy Hodgen (King's College London, UK) and Marja van den Heuvel-Panhuizen (Utrecht University, The Netherlands) 4. Integrating New Technologies into School Mathematics, Kenneth Ruthven (University of Cambridge, UK) 5. Mathematics Textbooks and How They Are Used, Sebastian Rezat (Justus-Liebig-University Giessen, Germany) and Rudolf Straesser (Justus-Liebig-University Giessen, Germany) 6. The Affective Domain, G nter T rner (University of Duisburg- Essen, Germany) 7. Mathematics and Language, Richard Barwell (University of Ottawa, Canada) 8. Mathematics Teacher Knowledge, Tim Rowland (University of Cambridge, UK) Part II: Aspects of Mathematics Curriculum 9. Proof, Andreas Styliandes (University of Cambridge, UK) 10. Mathematical Problem Solving, Lieven Verschaffel (University of Leuven, Belgium), Wim Van Dooren (University of Leuven, Belgium) and Fien Depaepe (University of Leuven, Belgium) 11. Algebra, Daniel Chazan (University of Maryland, USA) 12. Arithmetic, Julia Anghileri (University of Cambridge, UK) 13. Geometry, Angel Gutierrez (Universidad de Valencia, Spain) 14. Probability, Dave Pratt (Institute of Education, University of London, UK) Part III: Comparative Mathematics Education 15. European Mathematics Curricula and Classroom Practices, Paul Andrews (University of Stockholm, Sweden) 16. Teaching and Learning Mathematics in Chinese Culture, Ngai-Ying Wong (Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong) 17. Classroom Culture and Mathematics Learning, Eva Jablonka (Lulea University of Technology, Sweden) Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781441179753 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- MasterClass in Mathematics Education provides accessible links between theory and practice and encourages readers to reflect on their own understanding of their teaching context. Each chapter, written by an internationally respected authority, explores the key concepts within the selected area of the field, drawing directly on published research to encourage readers to reflect on the content, ideas and ongoing debates. Using international case studies, each chapter will encourage readers to think about ways that the teaching and learning of mathematics reflect different cultural traditions and expectations and enable them to evaluate effective strategies for their own contexts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781441179753 20160612
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Master class in mathematics education
- MasterClass series
- 9781441172358 (hardback)
- 1441172351 (hardback)
- 9781441179753 (pbk.)
- 1441179755 (pbk.)
- 9781441103338 (epub)
- 1441103333 (epub)
- 9781441176080 (e-pdf)
- 144117608X (e-pdf)
Browse related items
Start at call number: