Young citizens of the world : teaching elementary social studies through civic engagement
- Marilynne Boyle-Baise, Jack Zevin.
- Second edition.
- New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xx, 225 pages : illustrations ; 27 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC1091 .B59 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 207-218) and index.
- Brief Contents Prologue: Dare to be Different Preface: Acknowledgements One: Citizenship as a Verb: Teaching Democracy-in-Action Two: Democracy Project: Empowering Student Voice Co-author: Stephanie Cayot Serriere Three: Worldview: Developing World-mindedness Four: History Mystery: Rediscovering our Past Five: Biography Workshop: Composing Citizen's Life-stories Six: Supermarket: Making Everyday Economic Choices Co-author: Shaun Johnson Seven: Explore: Investigating Place and Space Eight: Engage: Living One's Civics Service Learning: What and Why? About the Authors References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415826495 20160613
- Publisher's Summary
- Young Citizens of the World takes a clear stance: Social studies is about citizenship education that is informed, deliberative, and activist-citizenship not only as a noun, something one studies, but as a verb, something one DOES. Its holistic, multicultural approach is based on this clear curricular and pedagogical purpose. Straightforward, engaging, and highly interactive, the book encourages students (and their teachers) to become informed, think it through, and take action. Each chapter is written as a civic engagement which is teacher-ready for use in elementary classrooms. A set of six teaching strategies that are constructive, inquiry-driven, dramatic, and deliberative bring the curricular framework to life through intensive, integrated meaningful studies of special places, important people, and significant times. Readers are invited to rehearse the projects in their social studies education courses and then to reinterpret them for their classrooms. The projects are supported by important resources for teaching, including supportive children's literature, links to internet sites, and visual sources and by a Companion Website that enhances and extends the text.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415826495 20160613
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780415826488 (hardback)
- 0415826489 (hardback)
- 9780415826495 (pbk.)
- 0415826497 (pbk.)
- 9780203764107 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: