Geometry and topology down under : a conference in honour of Hyam Rubinstein, 11-22 July 2011, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Australia
- Craig D. Hodgson, William H. Jaco, Martin G. Scharlemann, Stephan Tillmann, editors.
- Providence, Rhode Island : American Mathematical Society, 
- Physical description
- xxii, 369 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm.
- Contemporary mathematics (American Mathematical Society) v. 597.
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QA612.14 .G455 2011||Unknown|
- Geometry & topology down under (Conference) (2011 : Parkville, Australia)
- Rubinstein, Hyam, 1948- honouree.
- Hodgson, Craig David, editor of compilation.
- Jaco, William H., 1940- editor of compilation.
- Scharlemann, Martin, 1948- editor of compilation.
- Tillmann, Stephan, editor of compilation.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Survey and expository papers: What is an almost normal surface? by J. Hass The ergodic theory of hyperbolic groups by D. Calegari Mapping class groups of 3-manifolds, then and now by S. Hong and D. McCullough Stacks of hyperbolic spaces and ends of 3-manifolds by B. H. Bowditch Harmonic maps and integrable systems by E. Carberry Some of Hyam's favourite problems by H. Rubinstein Research papers: Almost normal surfaces with boundary by D. Bachman, R. Derby-Talbot, and E. Sedgwick Computational topology with Regina: Algorithms, heuristics and implementations by B. A. Burton Left-orderability and exceptional Dehn surgery on two-bridge knots by A. Clay and M. Teragaito Networking Seifert surgeries on knots IV: Seiferters and branched coverings by A. Deruelle, M. Eudave-Munoz, K. Miyazaki, and K. Motegi Commensurability of knots and $L^2$-invariants by S. Friedl The groups of fibred 2-knots by J. A. Hillman On the number of hyperbolic 3-manifolds of a given volume by C. Hodgson and H. Masai Seifert fibered surgery and Rasmussen invariant by K. Ichihara and I. D. Jong Existence of spherical angle structures on 3-manifolds by F. Luo 3-manifolds with Heegaard splittings of distance two by J. H. Rubinstein and A. Thompson Generating the genus $g 1$ Goeritz group of a genus $g$ handlebody by M. Scharlemann.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780821884805 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- This book contains the proceedings of the conference Geometry & Topology Down Under, held July 11-22, 2011, at the University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia, in honour of Hyam Rubinstein. The main topic of the book is low-dimensional geometry and topology. It includes both survey articles based on courses presented at the conferences and research articles devoted to important questions in low-dimensional geometry. Together, these contributions show how methods from different fields of mathematics contribute to the study of 3-manifolds and Gromov hyperbolic groups. It also contains a list of favourite problems by Hyam Rubinstein.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780821884805 20160612
- Publication date
- Contemporary mathematics ; 597
- 9780821884805 (alk. paper)
- 0821884808 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: