From the campfire to the holodeck : creating engaging and powerful 21st century learning environments
- David Thornburg ; foreword by Prakash Nair.
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xx, 140 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3013 .T57 2014||Unknown|
- Thornburg, David, 1943-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword Prakash Nair vii About the Author xiii Acknowledgments xv Introduction xvii 1 The Problem with Traditional Classrooms 1 2 Campfires 11 3 Watering Holes 17 4 Caves 23 5 Life 31 6 The Challenge of Technology 37 7 Technological Campfires 51 8 Technological Watering Holes 65 9 Technological Caves 77 10 Technological Life Spaces 85 11 Learning on the Holodeck 105 Notes 127 Index 133.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118633939 20180530
- Publisher's Summary
- How to optimize educational spaces and teaching practices for more effective learning Author David Thornburg, an award-winning futurist and educational consultant, maintains that in order to engage all students, learning institutions should offer a balance of Campfire spaces (home of the lecture), Watering Holes (home to conversations between peers), Caves (places for quiet reflection), and Life (places where students can apply what they've learned). In order to effectively use technology in the classroom, prepare students for future careers, and incorporate project-based learning, all teachers should be moving from acting as the "sage on the stage" to becoming the "guide on the side." Whether you are a school administrator interested in redesigning your school or a teacher who wants to prepare better lessons, From the Campfire to the Holodeck can help by providing insight on how to: Boost student engagement Enable project-based learning Incorporate technology into the classroom Encourage student-led learning From the Campfire to the Holodeck is designed to help schools move from traditional lecture halls (Campfires) where students just receive information to schools that encourage immersive student-centered learning experiences (Holodecks).
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118633939 20180530
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Available in another form
- Online version: Thornburg, David, 1943- From the campfire to the holodeck San Francisco : Jossey-Bass, 2013 ( 9781118748060 )
- 9781118633939 (hardback)
- 1118633938 (hardback)
- 1118748069 (electronic bk.)
- 9781118748060 (electronic bk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: