Tropical dry forests in the Americas : ecology, conservation, and management
- Boca Raton, Florida : CRC Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvii, 538 pages, 8 unnumbered pages : illustrations (some color), maps (some color) ; 24 cm
QH541.5 .T66 T76 2014
- Unknown QH541.5 .T66 T76 2014
- Publisher's Summary
- Under threat from natural and human disturbance, tropical dry forests are the most endangered ecosystem in the tropics, yet they rarely receive the scientific or conservation attention they deserve. In a comprehensive overview, Tropical Dry Forests in the Americas: Ecology, Conservation, and Management examines new approaches for data sampling and analysis using remote sensing technology, discusses new ecological and econometric methods, and critically evaluates the socio-economic pressures that these forest are facing at the continental and national levels. The book includes studies from Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia, Venezuela, and Brazil that provide in-depth knowledge about the function, status, and conservation efforts of these endangered forests. It presents key elements of synthesis from standardized work conducted across all sites. This unique contribution provides new light in terms of these forests compared to each other not only from an ecological perspective but also in terms of the pressures that they are facing, and their respective responses. Written by experts from a diversity of fields, this reference brings together the many facets of function, use, heritage, and future potential of these forests. It presents an important and exciting synthesis of many years of work across countries, disciplines, and cultures. By standardizing approaches for data sampling and analysis, the book gives readers comparison information that cannot be found anywhere else given the high level of disparity that exists in the current literature.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by G. Arturo Sanchez-Azofeifa and Jennifer S. Powers, Geraldo W. Fernandes, Mauricio Quesada.
- 9781466512009 (hbk.)
- 1466512008 (hbk.)
- 1466512016 (PDF ebook)
- 9781466512016 (PDF ebook)