- László Lovász, Imre Z. Ruzsa, Vera T. Sós (eds.).
- Berlin : Springer ; Budapest ; JBMS, János Bolyai Mathematical Society, c2013.
- Physical description
- 730 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Bolyai Society mathematical studies ; 25.
Math & Statistics Library
|QA7 .E734 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Contents.- Preface.- Alon, N.: Paul Erdos and Probabilistic Reasoning.- Benjamini, I.: Euclidean vs. Graph Metric.- Bollobas, B. and Riordan, O.: The Phase Transition in the Erdos-Renyi Random Graph Process.- Bourgain, J.: Around the Sum-product Phenomenon.- Breuillard, E., Green, B. and Tao, T.: Small Doubling in Groups.- Diamond, H. G.: Erdos and Multiplicative Number Theory.- Furedi, Z. and Simonovits, M.: The History of Degenerate (Bipartite) Extremal Graph Problems.- Gowers, W. T.: Erdos and Arithmetic Progressions.- Graham, R. L.: Paul Erdos and Egyptian Fractions.- Gyory, K.: Perfect Powers in Products with Consecutive Terms from Arithmetic Progressions.- Komjath, P.: Erdos's Work on Infinite Graphs.- Kunen, K.: The Impact of Paul Erd"os on Set Theory.- Mauldin, R. D.: Some Problems and Ideas of Erdos in Analysis and Geometry.- Montgomery, H. L.: L2 Majorant Principles.- Nesetril, J.: A Combinatorial Classic - Sparse Graphs with High Chromatic Number.- Nguyen, H. H. and Vu, V. H.: Small Ball Probability, Inverse Theorems, and Applications.- Pach, J.: The Beginnings of Geometric Graph Theory.- Pintz, J.: Paul Erdos and the Difference of Primes.- Pollack, P. and Pomerance, C.: Paul Erdos and the Rise of Statistical Thinking in Elementary Number Theory.- Rodl, V. and Schacht, M.: Extremal Results in Random Graphs.-Schinzel, A.: Erdos's Work on the Sum of Divisors Function and on Euler's Function.- Shalev, A.: Some Results and Problems in the Theory of Word Maps.- Tenenbaum, G.: Some of Erdos' Unconventional Problems in Number Theory, Thirty-four Years Later.- Totik, V.: Erdos on Polynomials.- Vertesi, P.: Paul Erdos and Interpolation: Problems, Results, New Developments.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783642392856 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Paul Erdos was one of the most influential mathematicians of the twentieth century, whose work in number theory, combinatorics, set theory, analysis, and other branches of mathematics has determined the development of large areas of these fields. In 1999, a conference was organized to survey his work, his contributions to mathematics, and the far-reaching impact of his work on many branches of mathematics. On the 100th anniversary of his birth, this volume undertakes the almost impossible task to describe the ways in which problems raised by him and topics initiated by him (indeed, whole branches of mathematics) continue to flourish. Written by outstanding researchers in these areas, these papers include extensive surveys of classical results as well as of new developments.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783642392856 20160612
- Publication date
- Bolyai Society mathematical studies, 1217-4696 ; 25
Browse related items
Start at call number: