Into the night : tales of nocturnal wildlife expeditions
- edited by Rick A. Adams.
- Boulder : University Press of Colorado, 
- Physical description
- x, 184 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Biology Library (Falconer)
QL755.5 .I57 2013
- Unknown QL755.5 .I57 2013
- Adams, Rick A. (Rick Alan)
- Preface / Rick A. Adams
- Waiting for long-eared owls / Stephen R. Jones
- African nights among fruit bats, fig trees, and elephants / Frank J. Bonaccorso
- Undersea at night in Darwin's Galapagos / Christina Allen
- Chasing nightly marvels in the Rocky Mountains / Rick A. Adams
- Nights on the Equator / Ann Kohlhaas
- Do not go gentle into that tropical night / Lee Dyer
- Nights : from south to north, hot to cold / James C. Halfpenny
- Volcanoes and fruitbats : fear and loafing on Montserrat / Scott C. Pedersen.
- "This entertaining collection of essays from professional scientists and naturalists provides an enlightening look at the lives of field biologists with a passion for the hidden world of nocturnal wildlife. Into the Night explores the harrowing, fascinating, amusing, and largely unheard personal experiences of scientists willing to forsake the safety of daylight to document the natural history of these uniquely adapted animals. Contributors tell of confronting North American bears, cougars, and rattlesnakes; suffering red ctenid spider bites in the tropical rain forest; swimming through layers of feeding-frenzied hammerhead sharks in the Galapagos; evading the wrath of African bull elephants in South Africa; and delighting in the curious and gentle nature of foxes and unconditional acceptance by a family of owls. They describe "fire in the sky" across a treeless tundra, a sea ablaze with bioluminescent algae, nighttime earthquakes on the Pacific Rim, and hurricanes and erupting volcanoes on a Caribbean island. Into the Night reveals rare and unexpected insights into nocturnal field research, illuminating experiences, discoveries, and challenges faced by intrepid biologists studying nature's nightly marvels across the globe. This volume will be of interest to scientists and general readers alike"-- Provided by publisher.
- Publication date
- 9781607322696 (hardback)
- 1607322692 (hardback)
- 9781607322702 (ebook)
- 1607322706 (ebook)