L2 writing in secondary classrooms : student experiences, academic issues, and teacher education
- edited by Luciana C. de Oliveira and Tony Silva.
- New York ; London : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2013.
- Physical description
- xii, 193 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- ESL and applied linguistics professional series.
Education Library (Cubberley)
PE1128 .A2 L23 2013
- Unknown PE1128 .A2 L23 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. On the Radar Screen and the Need to Focus on L2 Writing in Secondary Classrooms Luciana C. de Oliveira and Tony Silva Part I: Student Experiences: Case Studies 2. "She Doesn't Know Who I Am": The Case of a Refugee L2 Writer in a High School English Language Arts Classroom Christina Ortmeier-Hooper 3. Adolescent Writers and Academic Trajectories: Situating L2 Writing in the Content Areas Kerry Anne Enright 4. "Doing Like Almost Everything Wrong": An Adolescent Multilingual Writer's Transition from High School to College, Amanda Kibler Part II: Academic Issues 5. Preparing English Language Learners for Argumentative Writing Alan Hirvela 6. The Role of Social Relationships in the Writing Development of Multilingual Adolescents Jennifer Shade Wilson 7. Emerging Literacies in Digital Media and L2 Secondary Writing Melissa Niiya, Mark Warschauer, and Binbin Zheng Part III: Teacher Education 8. Focus on Pre-service Preparation for ESL Writing: K-12 Teacher Perspectives Ditlev Larsen 9. ESOL Teachers as Writing Teachers: From the Voice of Pre-Service Teachers Youngjoo Yi 10. Responsive Teacher Inquiry for Learning about Adolescent English Learners as Developing Writers Steven Z. Athanases, Lisa H. Bennett, and Juliet Michelsen Wahleithner 11. Understanding how Preservice Teachers Develop a Working Knowledge of L2 writing: Toward a Socioculturally-Oriented Postmethod Pedagogy Lisya Seloni.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Second language writers and the teaching of writing at the secondary level have received little attention compared with other skills such as reading. Addressing this gap, this volume uniquely looks at both adolescent L2 writing and the preparation of secondary teachers to work with this population of students. Part I, on adolescent L2 writers, includes case studies looking at their literacy identities, their trajectories in mainstream content area classes, and their transition from high school to college. Part II looks at academic issues. The focus in Part III is L2 writing teacher education. Taking a theoretically eclectic approach that can support a variety of pedagogies, this book contributes significantly to understanding adolescent second language writers and to educating teachers to address these students' specific needs.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Included Work
- Ortmeier-Hooper, Christina, 1972- She doesn't know who I am.
- Publication date
- ESL & applied linguistics professional series
- 9780415640602 (hbk.)
- 0415640601 (hbk.)
- 9780415640619 (pbk.)
- 041564061X (pbk)
- 9780203082669 (ebk)
- 0203082664 (alk. paper)