Manifolds, tensors, and forms : an introduction for mathematicians and physicists
- Paul Renteln.
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2014.
- Physical description
- xii, 329 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QA641 .R46 2014||Unknown|
- Renteln, Paul, 1959- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 317-320) and index.
- Preface-- 1. Linear algebra-- 2. Multilinear algebra-- 3. Differentiation on manifolds-- 4. Homotopy and de Rham cohomology-- 5. Elementary homology theory-- 6. Integration on manifolds-- 7. Vector bundles-- 8. Geometric manifolds-- 9. The degree of a smooth map-- Appendixes-- References-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781107042193 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Providing a succinct yet comprehensive treatment of the essentials of modern differential geometry and topology, this book's clear prose and informal style make it accessible to advanced undergraduate and graduate students in mathematics and the physical sciences. The text covers the basics of multilinear algebra, differentiation and integration on manifolds, Lie groups and Lie algebras, homotopy and de Rham cohomology, homology, vector bundles, Riemannian and pseudo-Riemannian geometry, and degree theory. It also features over 250 detailed exercises, and a variety of applications revealing fundamental connections to classical mechanics, electromagnetism (including circuit theory), general relativity and gauge theory. Solutions to the problems are available for instructors at www.cambridge.org/9781107042193.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781107042193 20160612
- Publication date
- 9781107042193 (alk. paper)
- 1107042194 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: