Handbook of urban education
- edited by H. Richard Milner IV & Kofi Lomotey.
- New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxxviii, 560 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC5131 .H354 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- SECTION I. Psychology, Health & Human Development 1. Serving Vulnerable Children and Youth in the Urban Context, William F. Tate IV, Christopher Hamilton, Brittni Jones, W. Brett Robertson, Ashley Macrander, Lyndsie Schultz & Elizabeth Thorne-Wallington 2. Liberating Urban Education & Human Freedom, Joyce E. King, Chikotche Akua & LaToya Russell 3. Health, Nutrition & Physical Activity, Samuel Hodge & Alexander Vigo-Valentin SECTION II. Sociological Perspectives 4. Student Resilience in Urban America, Carla O'Connor, Jennifer Mueller & Alaina Neal 5. Ethnic-Matching in Urban Schools, Donald Easton-Brooks 6. Urban Schools & the Black Male "Challenge, " Pedro A. Noguera 7. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning People & Issues in Urban Education, Mollie V. Blackburn & Lance M. McCready SECTION III. Families & Communities 8. Parent Involvement for Urban Students & Youth of Color, William Jeynes 9. Community & Family Involvement in Urban Schools, Gloria Swindler Boutte, George L. Johnson, Jr. 10. English Language Learners & Partnerships with Families, Communities, Teacher Preparation & Schools, Ana Christina DaSilva Iddings, Mary Cartol Combs & Luis Moll SECTION IV. Teacher Education & Special Education 11. Teacher Preparation for Urban Schools, Tyrone Howard & H. Richard Milner IV 12. Grow Your Own Teachers for Urban Education, Eric Toshalis 13. Latina/o Youth as Educational Researchers: Implications for Teaching & Learning In Urban Schools, Jason G. Irizarry & Anjale Welton 14. Teacher Influences in the Racialization of Disabilities, Adai Tefera, Kathleen King Thorius & Alfredo J. Artilles 15. African American Students & Other Students of Color in Special Education, Wanda J. Blanchett SECTION V. Leadership, Administration, & Leaders 16. Professional Identities of Urban School Principals, Gary M. Crow & Samantha Paredes Scribner 17. Urban School Leadership & Fit, Ira Bogotch, Leo Nesmith, Scott Smith & Frank Gaines 18. Black Students, Urban Schools, & Black Principals: Leadership Practices That Address Disenfranchisement, Kofi Lomotey & Kendra Lowery SECTION VI. Curriculum & Instruction 19. Culturally Responsive Teaching Principles, Practices & Effects, Geneva Gay 20. Urban Mathematics Education, Danny Martin & Gregory V. Larnell 21. Urban Literacy Learning, David E. Kirkland 22. Hip Hop Culture as a Teaching-Learning Tool in Urban Schools, Jon Yasin SECTION VII. Policy and Reforms 23. Race, Research & Urban Education, Gloria Ladson-Billings 24. The Evolving Landscape of School Choice in the United States, Mark Berends 25. School Reform & School Choice, Adrienne D. Dixson, Camika Royal and Kevin Lawrence Henry, Jr. 26. Charter Schools & Urban Education Reform, Thandeka K. Chapman 27. High-Stake Reforms & Urban Education, Julian Vasquez Heilig, Muhammad Khalifa & Linda Tillman.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781136206009 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume brings together leading scholars in urban education to focus on inner city matters, specifically as they relate to educational research, theory, policy, and practice. Each chapter provides perspectives on the history and evolving nature of urban education, the current education landscape, and helps chart an all-important direction for future work and needs. The Handbook addresses seven areas that capture the breadth and depth of available knowledge in urban education: (1) Psychology, Health and Human Development, (2) Sociological Perspectives, (3) Families and Communities, (4) Teacher Education and Special Education, (5) Leadership, Administration and Leaders, (6) Curriculum & Instruction, and (7) Policy and Reform.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781136206009 20160612
Browse related items
Start at call number: