Forgotten connections : on culture and upbringing
- Klaus Mollenhauer ; edited and translated by Norm Friesen.
- London : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- l, 137 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Theorizing education series.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB14.7 .M625 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 131-135) and index.
- Translator's Introduction: Culture and Upbringing in Theory and Practice 1: Introduction: What Are We Talking About When We Talk of Upbringing? 2: Presentation: Sharing Something About One's Self and Ways of Life 3: Representation: Selecting What to Convey 4: Bildsamkeit: Trusting that Children Want to Learn 5: Self-Activity: Taking on Projects and Solving Problems 6: Conclusion: Difficulties with Identity.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415714013 20160614
- Publisher's Summary
- Klaus Mollenhauer's Forgotten Connections: On Culture and Upbringing is internationally regarded as one of the most important German contributions to educational and curriculum theory in the 20th century. Appearing here in English for the first time, the book draws on Mollenhauer's concern for social justice and his profound awareness of the pedagogical tension between the inheritance of the past and the promise of the future. The book focuses on the idea of Bildung, in which philosophy and education come together to see upbringing and maturation as being much more about holistic experience than skill development. This translation includes a detailed introduction from Norm Friesen, the book's translator and editor. This introduction contextualizes the original publication and discusses its application to education today. Although Mollenhauer's work focused on content and culture, particularly from a German perspective, this book draws on philosophy and sociology to offer internationally relevant responses to the challenge of communicating cultural values and understandings to new generations. Forgotten Connections will be of value to students, researchers and practitioners working in the fields of education and culture, curriculum studies, and in educational and social foundations.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415714013 20160614
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Theorizing education series
- 9780415714013 (hardback)
- 041571401X (hardback)
- 9781315883007 (ebook)
- 1315883007 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: