Understanding teacher education in contentious times : political cross-currents and conflicting interests
- Catherine Cornbleth.
- New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- vii, 121 pages ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1715 .C6134 2014||Unknown|
- Cornbleth, Catherine, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 112-117) and index.
- Contents Preface Acknowledgments Chapter 1: If We're Serious about Understanding Teacher Education and Its Reform Chapter 2: Constraints: State Regulations Chapter 3: Constraints and Possibilities: Professional Accreditation Chapter 4: Constraints: Private/Corporate Interests Chapter 5: Discourses as Constraints and Possibilities Affecting Policy and Practice Chapter 6: Grounds for Hope? References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415643122 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Understanding Teacher Education in Contentious Times examines how public, professional, and private or corporate agencies operate to shape teacher education and possibilities for its improvement. Teacher education programs, particularly those leading to state certification or licensure, are influenced not only by state regulations but also by required review and accreditation by an outside agency such as the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education, and are subject to various contextual pressures such as the cultures of the institutions that host them and their surrounding communities, their potential student and employer markets, strong individuals, professional organizations, history or tradition, and, increasingly, external, usually privately-funded, special interest corporations such as the National Council on Teacher Quality. Unique among books on teacher education, this volume interweaves-in historical context including emerging trends-the complex contexts in which practice and reform efforts take place and are supported or impeded.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415643122 20160612
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780415643115 (hardback)
- 0415643112 (hardback)
- 9780415643122 (paperback)
- 9780203080696 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: