Music in the baroque
- Wendy Heller. Princeton University.
- New York : W. W. Norton & Company, 
- Physical description
- 1 volume (various pagings) : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Western music in context.
ML193 .H45 2014
- Unknown ML193 .H45 2014
- Heller, Wendy, 1955- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Baroque music in early modern Europe
- Ancients and moderns
- Theatrical baroque
- The art and craft of instrumental music in the early seventeenth century
- Music in civic and religious ritual
- Opera in Venice and beyond
- Power and pleasure at the court of Louis XIV
- Music in seventeenth-century England
- Music and education
- Academies, salons, and music societies
- Rome in the age of the arcadian academy
- Parisians and their music in the eighteenth century
- Music in city, court, and church in the Holy Roman Empire
- The London of Handel and Hogarth
- Postlude and prelude: Bach and the Baroque.
- Publisher's Summary
- Wendy Heller's Music in the Baroque traces the production and consumption of music in the seventeenth and early eighteenth century. Going beyond a history of styles, the text explores patronage, education, religious and civic ritual, theater, and visual culture. Heller focuses not only on the nature of music in the Baroque period, but also on the very different ways in which men and women experienced music in their daily lives. Treating music as an expression of political and national identity, she examines it in the context of the era's art and literature, political and religious conflicts, and contentious issues of class and gender. Western Music in Context: A Norton History comprises six volumes of moderate length, each written in an engaging style by a recognized expert. Authoritative and current, the series examines music in the broadest sense-as sounds notated, performed, and heard-focusing not only on composers and works, but also on broader social and intellectual currents.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Western music in context: a Norton history
- 9780393929171 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0393929175 (pbk. : alk. paper)