Best interests of the student : applying ethical constructs to legal cases in education
- Jacqueline A. Stefkovich.
- Second edition.
- New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xv, 237 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|KF4150 .S74 2014||Unknown|
- Stefkovich, Jacqueline Anne, 1947- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Preface Part I A Conceptual Framework 1 Introduction 2 Conceptualizing an Ethical Framework for Educational Leaders 3 A Model for Promoting the Student's Best Interests 4 The Courts, the Law, and Ethics 5 Applying Ethical Constructs to Legal Cases Part II Students' Fundamental Rights 6 Freedom of Speech 7 Religious Expression 8 Censorship and Viewpoint Discrimination 9 Technology, Cyberbullying, & Sexting 10 The Right to Privacy 11 School Safety and Zero Tolerance Part III School Governance, the Curriculum, and the Student 12 Academic Standards, Assessment, and the Right to Education 13 Teachers, Learning, and the Curriculum 14 Governmental Immunity 15 Equity, Equality, and Equal Protection Part IV Conclusions 16 Conclusions.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415823791 20160614
- Publisher's Summary
- Best Interests of the Student presents both a theoretical model for guiding educators as they confront legal and ethical dilemmas in their schools, as well as highly accessible and annotated court cases for exploration. Stefkovich introduces an ethical decision-making model that focuses on strategies for determining what actions are in the "best interests of the student, " and demonstrates the application of this theoretical model for examining legal and ethical dimensions of court cases. Discussion questions at the end of each case encourage readers to examine issues from differing viewpoints, helping them to become more self-reflective school leaders who can effectively address legal dilemmas in their own contexts. This important text is a valuable resource for both aspiring and practicing school administrators and leaders. This thoroughly revised edition features: * An entirely new chapter focusing on issues surrounding technology, specifically bullying, harassment, and "sexting" *13 new legal cases to reflect recent developments in school law, including issues of free speech, teacher accountability, and school policies * A continued focus on preparing leaders to meet the Interstate School Leaders Licensure Consortium (ISLLC) ethics standard.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415823791 20160614
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780415823784 (hbk.)
- 0415823781 (hbk.)
- 041582379X (pbk.)
- 9780415823791 (pbk.)
- 9780203550014 (ebook)
- 0203550013 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: