English for the children : mandated by the people, skewed by politicians and special interests
- Haver, Johanna J.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Education, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvi, 199 pages ; 24 cm
P119.32 .U6 H38 2013
- Unknown P119.32 .U6 H38 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Forward Preface Acknowledgments Introduction 1. Running the California Political Gauntlet 2. Latinos vs. Latinos: the Arizona Language War 3. Resistance to Change in New York and Colorado 4. Big Win in Massachusetts 5. Under Attack 6. Closing the "Loopholes" 7. From Political Impasse to the U.S. Supreme Court 8. Implementing Structured English Immersion 9. Charges of Discrimination 10. The Federal Role 11. Commentary Notes Glossary Index About the Author.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Silicon Valley software entrepreneur Ron Unz took on the education establishment, both major political parties, the ACLU, and several activist groups with his "English for the Children" movement that began in 1996 and ended on Election Day 2002. His campaign to dismantle bilingual education through ballot measures in four states - California, Arizona, Colorado, and Massachusetts - drew frequent responses from the national media that initially opposed and then supported Unz's cause. The initiatives passed with 61-68% of the vote in three states, but failed in Colorado. Experienced teacher and author of Structured English Immersion, Johanna J. Haver details the politics surrounding the Unz campaign, explaining both sides of the issues honestly and respectfully. She outlines the challenges that ensued after the measures became law and discusses areas of concern that remain in dispute to this day: *Identification, placement, and reclassification of English language learners *English proficiency tests *Segregation versus integration *Compliance versus flexibility *The Office for Civil Rights *Federal and state funding *Dual-language instruction as an option.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Language policy > United States.
- English-only movement > United States.
- English language > Political aspects > United States.
- Education and state > United States.
- Education, Bilingual > Political aspects > United States.
- Education, Bilingual > Government policy > United States.
- Education, Bilingual > Law and legislation > United States.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Johanna J. Haver.
- 9781475802009 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1475802005 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781475802016 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1475802013 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781475802023 (electronic)