The Great War : July 1, 1916 : the first day of the Battle of the Somme : an illustrated panorama
- Joe Sacco ; with an essay by Adam Hochschild.
- First edition.
- New York : W.W. Norton & Company, 
- Physical description
- 1 accordian-fold page : illustrations ; 22 x 29 cm + 1 booklet (16 pages : illustrations ; 21 x 29 cm)
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|D545 .S7 S23 2013 F||In-library use|
- Sacco, Joe.
The Great War July 1, 1916: The First Day of the Battle of the Somme. It is an illustrated panorama with an essay by Adam Hochschild. "Sacco's work [is] the best argument around for comics as a journalistic medium". (GQ). Launched on July 1, 1916, the Battle of the Somme has come to epitomize the madness of the First World War. Almost 20,000 British soldiers were killed and another 40,000 were wounded that first day, and there were more than one million casualties by the time the offensive halted a few months later. In The Great War, acclaimed cartoonist Joe Sacco depicts the events of that day in an extraordinary, 24-foot-long wordless panorama: from the riding exercises of General Douglas Haig to the massive artillery positions and marshalling areas behind the trench lines, to the legions of British soldiers going 'over the top' and being cut down in No-Man's-Land, to the tens of thousands of wounded soldiers retreating and the dead being buried en masse. Printed on fine accordion-fold paper and packaged in a deluxe hardcover slipcase with a 16-page accompanying booklet, The Great War is a landmark work in Sacco's illustrious career, and makes visceral one of the bloodiest days in history.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Included Work
- Hochschild, Adam July 1, 1916.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- July 1, 1916 : the first day of the Battle of the Somme
- First day of the Battle of the Somme
- Title on accompanying booklet: On The Great War
- Cataloged from container.
- 9780393088809 (spineless hbk. : cased)
- 0393088804 (spineless hbk. : cased)
- 0224097717 (Cloth)
- 9780224097710 (Cloth)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: