Nigeria : dancing on the brink
- John Campbell.
- Updated ed.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Pub., c2013.
- Physical description
- xxvii, 211 p. : maps ; 24 cm
- Campbell, John, 1944-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 193-198) and index.
- Introduction: An Ambassadorial Credential Presentation Chapter 1: "Un Peu d'Histoire" Chapter 2: If Nigeria Is So Rich, Why Are Nigerians So Poor? Chapter 3: Who Runs Nigeria? Chapter 4: Faith Chapter 5: The Niger Delta Chapter 6: A President for Life? Chapter 7: The "Election-Like Event" of 2007 Chapter 8: The Breakdown of the Nigerian Political System Chapter 9: Boko Haram Chapter 10: Washington and Abuja Chapter 11: Dancing on the Brink.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781442221574 20160616
- Publisher's Summary
- Nigeria, the United States' most important strategic partner in West Africa, is in grave trouble. While Nigerians often claim they are masters of dancing on the brink without falling off, the disastrous administration of President Goodluck Jonathan, the radical Islamic insurrection Boko Haram, and escalating violence in the delta and the north may finally provide the impetus that pushes it into the abyss of state failure. In this thoroughly updated edition, John Campbell explores Nigeria's post-colonial history and presents a nuanced explanation of the events and conditions that have carried this complex, dynamic, and very troubled giant to the edge. Central to his analysis are the oil wealth, endemic corruption, and elite competition that have undermined Nigeria's nascent democratic institutions and alienated an increasingly impoverished population. However, state failure is not inevitable, nor is it in the interest of the United States. Campbell provides concrete new policy options that would not only allow the United States to help Nigeria avoid state failure but also to play a positive role in Nigeria's political, social, and economic development.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781442221574 20160616
- Publication date
- "A Council on Foreign Relations book."
- 9781442221567 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1442221569 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781442221574 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1442221577 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781442221581 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: