Sustainability in higher education : stories and strategies for transformation
- Cambridge, Massachusetts : The MIT Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiii, 316 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Urban and industrial environments.
LB3223.3 .S88 2013
- Unknown LB3223.3 .S88 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- In colleges and universities across the United States, students, faculty, and staff are forging new paths to sustainability. From private liberal arts colleges to major research institutions to community colleges, sustainability concerns are being integrated into curricula, policies, and programs. New divisions, degree programs, and courses of study cross traditional disciplinary boundaries; Sustainability Councils become part of campus governance; and new sustainability issues link to historic social and educational missions. In this book, leaders from twenty-four colleges and universities offer their stories of institutional and personal transformation. These stories document both the power of leadership -- whether by college presidents, faculty, staff, or student activists -- and the potential for institutions to redefine themselves. Chapters recount, among other things, how inclusive campus governance helped mobilize students at the University of South Carolina; how a course at the Menominee Nation's tribal college linked sustainability and traditional knowledge; how the president of Furman University convinced a conservative campus community to make sustainability a strategic priority; how students at San Diego State University built sustainability into future governance while financing a LEED platinum-certified student center; and how sustainability transformed pedagogy in a lecture class at Penn State. As this book makes clear, there are many paths to sustainability in higher education. These stories offer a snapshot of what has been accomplished and a roadmap to what is possible. Colleges and Universities covered include Arizona State University * Central College, Iowa * College of the Menominee Nation, Wisconsin * Curriculum for the Bio-region Project, Pacific Northwest * Drury University, Missouri * Emory University, Georgia * Florida A&M University * Furman University, South Carolina * Green Mountain College, Vermont * Kap'olani Community College, Honolulu, Hawaii * Pennsylvania State University *San Diego State University * Santa Clara University, California * Slippery Rock State University, Pennsylvania * Spelman College, Georgia * Unity College, Maine * University of Hawaii--Manoa * University of Michigan * University of South Carolina * University of South Florida * University of Wisconsin--Oshkosh * Warren Wilson College, North Carolina * Yale University.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Peggy F. Barlett and Geoffrey W. Chase.
- Urban and industrial environments
- 9780262019491 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0262019493 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780262519656 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0262519658 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780262316675 (electronic bk.)