The beautiful risk of education
- Gert J.J. Biesta.
- Boulder : Paradigm Publishers, 
- Physical description
- xii, 165 pages ; 24 cm.
- Interventions (Paradigm Publishers)
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB14.7 .B527 2014||Unknown|
- Biesta, Gert author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Prologue On the Weakness of Education Chapter One Creativity Chapter Two Communication Chapter Three Teaching Chapter Four Learning Chapter Five Emancipation Chapter Six Democracy Chapter Seven Virtuosity EpilogueFor a Pedagogy of the Event Appendix Coming into the World, Uniqueness, and the Beautiful Risk of Education: An Interview with Gert Biesta by Philip Winter.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781612050270 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- This is a book about what many teachers know but are increasingly being prevented from talking about: that real education always involves a risk. The risk is there because, as W. B. Yeats has put it, education is not about filling a bucket but about lighting a fire. It is there because students are not to be seen as objects to be moulded and disciplined, but as subjects of action and responsibility. The Beautiful Risk of Education is organised around a critical discussion of seven key educational concepts: creativity, communication, teaching, learning, emancipation, democracy, and virtuosity. By opposing the risk aversion that characterises many contemporary educational policies and practices, Gert J.J. Biesta makes a strong argument for giving risk a central place in our educational endeavours and brings risk taking to the forefront of a critical pedagogical practice.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781612050270 20160612
- Publication date
- Interventions: education, philosophy, and culture
- 9781612050263 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1612050263 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781612050270 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1612050271 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: