Of elephants & roses : French natural history, 1790-1830
- Sue Ann Prince, editor.
- Philadelphia : APS Museum, American Philosophical Society, 2013.
- Physical description
- xxvi, 268 pages : illustrations ; 31 cm.
- Memoirs of the American Philosophical Society v. 267.
- Prince, Sue Ann, editor of compilation.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction and symposium: keynote address. Introduction: of elephants & roses / Sue Anne Prince ; Keynote address: civilizing specimens and citizens at the Muséum d'Histoire naturelle, 1793-1838 / Richard W. Burkhardt Jr. ; Symposium discussion
- About gardens and gardening. Empress Josephine and the natural sciences / Bernard Chevallier ; Josephine as shepherdess: estate management at Malmaison / Susan Taylor-Leduc ; Of cabbages and kings: the politics of planting vegetables at the revolutionary Jardin des Plantes / Paula Young Lee ; Seed origin: new varieties of fruits and vegetables around Paris at the turn of the nineteenth century / Antoine Jacobsohn ; About gardens and gardening: symposium commentary / Carol Solomon ; Symposium discussion
- Cultivating useful knowledge. André Michaux and French botanical diplomacy in the cultural construction of natural history in the Atlantic world / Elizabeth Hyde ; The "elephant in the room": the impact of the French seizure of the Dutch Stadholder's collection on the relations between Dutch and French naturalists / Elise Lipkowitz ; Cultivating useful knowledge: symposium commentary / Sara S. Gronim ; Symposium discussion
- Making art, communicating science. Picturing nature in a natural history museum: the engravings of the Annales du Muséum d'Histoire naturelle, 1802-1813 / Pierre-Yves Lacour ; Representing animals with empathy, 1793-1810 / Madeleine Pinault Sørensen ; Botany and the painting of flowers: intersections of the natural sciences and the visual arts in late eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century France / Dorothy Johnson ; The giraffe's keepers and the (dis)play of difference / Daniel Harkett ; The visual terms of cultural encounters: Petit and Cuiver's Australian experiment / Anne Lafont ; Making art-communicating science: symposium commentary / Paula Young Lee ; Symposium discussion
- Natural history and French culture. The quest for "lost worlds": intellectual revolutions and mutations of the imagination at the turn of the nineteenth century / Claudine Cohen ; Social species in the Comédie humaine: Balzac's use of natural history / Göran Blix ; The animal series and the genesis of socialism / John Tresch ; Domesticating the exotic: the giraffe craze and French consumer culture / Denise Z. Davidson ; An Egyptian giraffe and six Osage Indians: an exotic plea against the censorship of
- 1827 / Alain Lescart ; Natural history and French culture: symposium commentary ; Symposium discussion
- French natural history: reflecting back, looking forward. The power of objects / Bernadette Bensaude-Vincent ; Images and politics / Anne Lafont.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Of elephants and roses
- French natural history, 1790-1830
- Memoirs of the American Philosophical Society held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge ; volume 267
- Catalogue for the exhibition Of Elephants & Roses: Encounters with French Natural History, 1790-1830 at the APS Museum (March 25-December 31, 2011).
Browse related items
Start at call number: