Boxers & saints : boxed set
- Gene Luen Yang ; color by Lark Pien.
- First edition.
- New York : First Second, 2013.
- Physical description
- 2 v. : chiefly ill. ; 22 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|PN6727 .Y36 B68 2013 V.1||Unknown|
|PN6727 .Y36 B68 2013 V.2||Unknown|
Library has: v.1-
- [v. 1] Boxers
- [v. 2] Saints.
- Publisher's Summary
- "Boxers & Saints Boxed Set Edition" One of the greatest comics storytellers alive brings all his formidable talents to bear in this astonishing new work. In two volumes, "Boxers & Saints" tells two parallel stories. The first is of Little Bao, a Chinese peasant boy whose village is abused and plundered by Westerners claiming the role of missionaries. Little Bao, inspired by visions of the Chinese gods, joins a violent uprising against the Western interlopers. Against all odds, their grass-roots rebellion is successful. But in the second volume, Yang lays out the opposite side of the conflict. A girl whose village has no place for her is taken in by Christian missionaries and finds, for the first time, a home with them. As the Boxer Rebellion gains momentum, Vibiana must decide whether to abandon her Christian friends or to commit herself fully to Christianity. "Boxers & Saints" is one of the most ambitious graphic novels First Second has ever published. It offers a penetrating insight into not only one of the most controversial episodes of modern Chinese history, but into the very core of our human nature. Gene Luen Yang is rightly called a master of the comics form, and this book will cement that reputation. This boxed set includes the trade paperback "Boxers" as well as the trade paperback "Saints, " packaged together in one slipcase. Winner of the Los Angeles Times Book Prize for Young Adult LiteratureOne of "Publishers Weekly"'s Best Comic Books and Best Children's Books of 2013 A "New York Times Book Review "Notable Children's Book of 2013 A "Kirkus Reviews "Best Teen Book of 2013An NPR Best Book of 2013.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781596439245 20160612
- From American Born Chinese author Gene Luen Yang: an innovative look at China's Boxer Rebellion told from two points of view, in two companion volumes. China, 1898. Bands of foreign missionaries and soldiers roam the countryside, bullying and robbing Chinese peasants. Little Bao has had enough. Harnessing the powers of ancient Chinese gods, he recruits an army of Boxers - commoners trained in kung fu who fight to free China from "foreign devils." But nothing is simple. Little Bao is fighting for the glory of China, but at what cost? So many are dying, including thousands of Chinese citizens who have converted to Christianity.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781596433595 20160612
- China > History > Boxer Rebellion, 1899-1901 > Comic books, strips, etc.
- Christians > China > Comic books, strips, etc.
- Persecution > China > Comic books, strips, etc.
- Comic books, strips, etc. > United States.
- Women > China > Fiction.
- Christians > China > Fiction.
- Persecution > China > Fiction.
- China > History > Boxer Rebellion, 1899-1901 > Fiction.
- Women > China > Cartoons and comics.
- Christians > China > Cartoons and comics.
- Persecution > China > Cartoons and comics.
- China > History > Boxer Rebellion, 1899-1901 > Cartoons and comics.
- Caricatures and cartoons.
- Comic books, strips, etc.
- Publication date
- Included Work
- 9781596439245 (Set)
- 9781596433595 (Boxers v.1)
- 9781596436893 (Saints v.2)
- 1480615102 (Paw Prints bdg.)
- 9781480615106 (Paw Prints bdg.)
- 1480615110 (Paw Prints bdg.)
- 9781480615113 (Paw Prints bdg.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: