It's not because you're black : addressing issues of racism and underrepresentation of African Americans in academia
- Annie Smith.
- Lanham, Maryland : University Press of America, 
- Physical description
- viii, 83 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC2781.5 .S65 2013||Unknown|
- Smith, Annie.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -79) and index.
- Preface Introduction Chapter 1: African Americans and the Academy Chapter 2: Cultural Survival: A Matter of Resilience Chapter 3: Environment of Change Chapter 4: Options for Blacks in Higher Education Chapter 5: African American Achievement Gap Chapter 6: Next Steps References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780761861157 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- This book takes a realistic look at the effects of underrepresentation of African Americans in colleges and universities. It highlights local, state, and national consequences facing America's educational future as the country becomes more diverse. It also examines the challenges that face Blacks trying to get into the academy and issues that confront those who penetrate the system. Whether intentional or embedded in the minds of those in American culture, the results of Black underrepresentation in educational settings often carry devastating impacts on African American learners. It affects learners in diverse educational settings as well as the career choices and opportunities for minorities who need them most. An increase in African American professors would not only add diversity on college campuses but also bring a unique perspective to the academy-a situation that would be beneficial to all.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780761861157 20160612
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- It is not because you are black
- 9780761861157 (hbk.)
- 0761861157 (hbk.)
- 9781299605398 (MyiLibrary)
- 9780761861164 (e-book)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: