Reforming Boston schools, 1930 to the present : overcoming corruption and racial segregation
- Joseph Marr Cronin.
- 1st Palgrave Macmillan pbk. ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Physical description
- x, 285 p. : ill., map ; 22 cm.
- Palgrave studies in urban education.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA306 .B7 C76 2011||Unknown|
- Cronin, Joseph M.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -277) and index.
- Introduction. Exit, voice, and loyalty : leave, speak up, or stay
- Boston schools : the height of loyalty and ethnic exits (1920-40)
- Boston teachers express their voices (1920-65)
- School reform postponed (1940-62)
- Black voices for equal education, and the white response (1960-74)
- The court orders reforms (1974-89)
- Universities speak up
- The organized teacher voice (1965 to the present)
- Business calls for educational improvements
- Future choices, disparate voices.
- "Boston's schools in 2006 won the Eli Broad Prize for the Most Improved Urban School System in America. But from the 1930s into the 1970s the city schools succumbed to scandals including the sale of jobs and racial segregation. This book describes the black voices before and after court decisions and the struggles of Boston teachers before and after collective bargaining. The contributions of universities, corporations and political leaders to restore academic achievement are evaluated by one who observed Boston schools for forty years"-- Provided by publisher.
- Schools > Massachusetts > Boston > Case studies.
- Educational change > Massachusetts > Boston > Case studies.
- Discrimination in education > Massachusetts > Boston > Case studies.
- School integration > Massachusetts > Boston > Case studies.
- Educational equalization > Massachusetts > Boston > Case studies.
- Education, Urban > Massachusetts > Boston > Case studies.
- African Americans > Education > Massachusetts > Boston > Case studies.
- Publication date
- Palgrave studies in urban education
- First published in hardcover 2008.
- 9780230111455 (pbk.)
- 0230111459 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: