Allies and Italians under occupation : Sicily and Southern Italy 1943-45
- Isobel Williams.
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire : Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Physical description
- xiv, 308 pages : illustrations, maps ; 23 cm
- Williams, Isobel, 1952-
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 278-294) and index.
- Acknowledgements List of Figures List of Illustrations Explanatory Notes PART I: OCCUPATION 1. Introduction 2. Preparation: Structure, Training and Police PART II: ALLIED CRIME 3. Soldier Trouble 4. The Moroccan Goumiers of the FEC 5. Deserters and Absentees 6. Justice, and Statistics PART III: ITALIAN CRIME, AND LAW AND ORDER 7. Allied Proclamations 8. Italian Trouble: Crime 9. Italian Trouble: Disorder PART IV: COLLABORATION 10. Black Market 11. Prostitution PART V: ASSESSMENT 12. Police Performance 13. Occupation Appendix I: Acronyms and Foreign Terms Appendix II: Allied Proclamation No. 2: Articles I and I Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230572591 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- War is chaos; an occupying force must bring order out of that chaos. The Allied Occupation of Italy is studied by examining crime, law and order in Sicily and southern Italy, where all forms of Allied and liberated Italian government were used and which also contained Italy's two historically most troublesome areas, Naples and Sicily. Effective society requires law and order to exist; this book examines the behaviour of a million Allied servicemen on the ordinary citizens of Italy, recently 'the enemy', from the nuisance of drunkenness to rape and murder. Many Italian law and order issues were caused by political conflict, land occupations and the poor availability of food and other essentials. The last led to unrest, discontent, a thriving black market, prostitution and a resurgence of crime. All these are examined, using original documents, as are police and Allied performance and the curious absence of the Mafia.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230572591 20160612
- Publication date
- 9780230572591 (hardback)
- 0230572596 (hardback)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: