Land law reform in Eastern Africa : traditional or transformative? : a critical review of 50 years of land law reform in Eastern Africa, 1961-2011
- Patrick McAuslan.
- Abingdon, Oxon [UK] : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xii, 269 pages ; 24 cm.
- Law, development and globalization.
Law Library (Crown)
|KQC672 .M37 2013||Unknown|
- McAuslan, Patrick author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -261) and index.
- Introduction: The conceptual framework of the book
- A survey of the land laws
- The lack of any drive for land reform 1961-c. 1990
- Two case studies from this era
- The global intellectual climate for land law reform
- Urban planning law reform : a regional overview
- Gender and land law
- Transformational, traditional or political : an overview
- Appendix. Principal land laws enacted in states since 1961.
- Publisher's Summary
- Land Law Reform in East Africa reviews development and changes in the statutory land laws of 7 countries in Eastern Africa over the period 1961 - 2011. The book is divided into two parts. Part 1 sets up the conceptual framework for consideration of the reforms, and pursues a contrast between transformational and traditional developments; where the former aim at change designed to ensure social justice in land laws, and the latter aim to continue the overall thrust of colonial approaches to land laws and land administration. Part 2 provides an in-depth and critical survey of the land law reforms introduced into each country during the era of land law reform which commenced around 1990. The overall effect of the reforms has, Patrick McAuslan argues, been traditional: it was colonial policy to move towards land markets, individualisation of land tenure and the demise of customary tenure, all of which characterise the post 1990 reforms. The culmination of over 50 years of working in this area, Land Law Reform in East Africa will be invaluable reading for scholars of land law, and of law and development more generally.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415831437 20160612
- Publication date
- Law, development, and globalization
- "A GlassHouse book."
- 9780415831437 (hardback)
- 0415831431 (hardback)
- 9780203491867 (ebk)
- 0203491866 (ebk)
- 9780203491867 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: