Race frameworks : a multidimensional theory of racism and education
- Zeus Leonardo.
- New York : Teachers College, 
- Physical description
- xvi, 200 pages ; 24 cm.
- Multicultural education series (New York, N.Y.)
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC212.2 .L48 2013||Unknown|
- Leonardo, Zeus, 1968-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: critical frameworks on race. Two aspects of criticism : suspicion and empathy ; Overview of this book
- Critical race theory in education : on racial state apparatuses. Framework of critical race theory ; Appraisal of CRT, race, and education
- Marxism and race : the racialized division of labor. Framework of Marxism ; Appraisal of Marxism, race, and education
- Whiteness studies and educational supremacy : the unbearable whiteness of schooling. Framework of critical whiteness studies ; Appraisal of whiteness studies, race, and education
- Cultural studies, race representation, and education : from the means of production to the production of meanness. Framework of cultural studies ; Appraisal of cultural studies, race, and education
- Race ambivalence and a multidimensional theory of racism and education. The stubborn significance of race and racism ; Race ambivalence ; Post-race as an opportunity ; Toward a new day in race relations : a commentary on hope and optimism.
- Publisher's Summary
- This is a comprehensive introduction to the main frameworks for thinking about, conducting research on, and teaching about race and racism in education. Renowned theoretician and philosopher Zeus Leonardo surveys the dominant race theories and, more specifically, focuses on those frameworks that are considered essential to cultivating a critical attitude toward race and racism. The book examines four frameworks: Critical Race Theory (CRT), Marxism, Whiteness Studies, and Cultural Studies. A critique follows each framework in order to analyse its strengths and set its limits. The last chapter offers a theory of "race ambivalence", which combines aspects of all four theories into one framework. Engaging and cutting edge, Race Frameworks is a foundational text suitable for courses in education and critical race studies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780807754634 20160612
- Publication date
- Multicultural education series
- 9780807754627 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807754625 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780807754634 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0807754633 (hardcover : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: