Assessing historical thinking and understanding : innovative designs for new standards
- Bruce A. VanSledright.
- New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- x, 133 pages : illustrations ; 21 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|D16.2 .V34 2014||Unknown|
- VanSledright, Bruce, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1: The Need for New Assessments in History Education Chapter 2: A Sociocultural Cognitive Model for Learning History Chapter 3: Mapping Assessment Tasks to the Learning Model Chapter 4: Interpreting Assessment Tasks Chapter 5: Standards, Assessments, Testing, and Questions of Alignment Appendix.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415836982 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Assessing Historical Thinking and Understanding advocates for a fundamental change in how educators think about making sense of learners' developing cognition and understanding in history. Author Bruce VanSledright argues that traditional and typical standardized testing approaches are seldom up to the task of measuring the more complex understandings students are asked to attain, as they cannot fully assess what the student knows. Rather, he points forward along a path toward changes in learning, teaching, and assessing that closely aligns with the Common Core State Standards. He delves into the types of history knowledge the standards require, illustrates how they can be applied in-use in history learning contexts, and theorizes how the standards might fit together cognitively to produce deep historical understandings among students in teaching-learning contexts. By providing a variety of assessment strategies and items that align with the standards, and identifying rich, useful assessment rubrics applicable to the different types of assessments, he offers an important resource for social studies teachers and curriculum writers alike.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415836982 20160612
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780415836975 (hardback)
- 0415836972 (hardback)
- 9780415836982 (paperback)
- 0415836980 (paperback)
- 9780203464632 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: