Place attachment : advances in theory, methods and applications
- edited by Lynne C. Manzo and Patrick Devine-Wright.
- London : Routledge, 2014.
- Physical description
- xii, 217 p. : ill. ; 25 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction Lynne C. Manzo and Patrick Devine Wright Part 1: Theory 1. Place Attachment and Phenomenology: The Synergistic Dynamism of Place David Seamon 2. Comparing the Theories of Interpersonal and Place Attachment Leila Scannell and Robert Gifford 3. Place Attachment in an Age of Mobility Per Gustafson 4. In Search of Roots: Memory as Enabler of Place Attachment Maria Lewicka 5. Community Place Attachment and its Role in Social Capital Development Nikolay Mihaylov and Douglas D. Perkins 6. Place Attachment as Discursive Practice Andres Di Masso, John Dixon, and Kevin Durrheim Part 2: Methods 7. "Beyond the Commodity Metaphor" Revisited: Some Methodological Reflections on Place Attachment Research Daniel Williams 8. Articulating Transnational Attachments through on-site Narratives Clare Rishbeth 9. Photo Based Methods for Understanding Place Meanings as Foundations of Attachment Richard Stedman 10. Theoretical and Methodological Aspects of Research on Place Attachment Bernardo Hernandez, M. Carmen Hidalgo, and Cristina Ruiz Part 3: Applications 11. "The Frayed Knot:" What Happens to Place Attachment in the Context of Serial Forced Displacement? Mindy Fullilove 12. Place Attachment, Community Identification and Pro-Environmental Engagement Giuseppe Carrus, Massimiliano Scopelliti, Ferdinando Fornara, Mirilia Bonnes, and Marino Bonaiuto 13. The Dynamics of Place Attachment in a Climate Changed World Patrick Devine-Wright 14. Exploring the Shadow Side: Place Attachment in the Context of Stigma, Displacement and social Housing Lynne C. Manzo 15. Do Not Detach! Instructions From and For Community Design Randolf T. Hester Jr.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415538213 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Recipient of the 2014 EDRA Achievement Award. Place attachments are emotional bonds that form between people and their physical surroundings. These connections are a powerful aspect of human life that inform our sense of identity, create meaning in our lives, facilitate community and influence action. Place attachments have bearing on such diverse issues as rootedness and belonging, placemaking and displacement, mobility and migration, intergroup conflict, civic engagement, social housing and urban redevelopment, natural resource management and global climate change. In this multidisciplinary book, Manzo and Devine-Wright draw together the latest thinking by leading scholars from around the globe, capturing important advancements in three areas: theory, methods and application. In a wide range of conceptual and applied ways, the authors critically review and challenge contemporary knowledge, identify significant advances and point to areas for future research. This volume offers the most current understandings about place attachment, a critical concept for the environmental social sciences and placemaking professions.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415538213 20160612
- Publication date
- 9780415538114 (hardback)
- 0415538114 (hardback)
- 9780415538213 (pbk.)
- 9780203757765 (ebook)
- 0415538211 (pbk.)
- 0203757769 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: