Education and democracy in the 21st century
- Nel Noddings.
- New York : Teachers College Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 179 pages ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1025.3 .N63 2013||Unknown|
- Noddings, Nel.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 159-167) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Eminent educational philosopher Nel Noddings draws on John Dewey's foundational work to reimagine education's aims and curriculum for the 21st century. Noddings looks at education as a multi-aim enterprise in which schools must address needs in all three domains of life: home and family, occupational, and civic. She raises critical questions about the current enthusiasm for standardisation, the search for "one-best-way" solutions, and the practice of maintaining a sharp separation between the disciplines. Comprehensive in its scope, chapters examine the liberal arts curriculum, vocational education, restructuring secondary school, extracurricular activities, national and global citizenship, critical thinking, and moral education. Noddings argues that we must find ways to preserve our commitment to democratic values while adapting to the societal changes that have occurred since Dewey wrote Democracy and Education almost a century ago. She urges not only a critical appraisal of current practice but also a cooperative and imaginative exploration of the future.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780807753972 20160612
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780807753965 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807753963 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780807753972 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0807753971 (hardcover : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: