Foundations of behavioral neuroscience
- Neil R. Carlson.
- 9th ed., Pearson new international ed.
- Harlow : Pearson, c2014.
- Physical description
- ii, 520 p. : col. ill., col. maps ; 28 cm
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QP360 .C354 2014||Unknown|
- Carlson, Neil R., 1942-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- In this Section: 1. Brief Table of Contents 2. Full Table of Contents 1. Brief Table of Contents Chapter 1: Origins of Behavioral Neuroscience Chapter 2: Structure and Functions of Cells of the Nervous System Chapter 3: Structure of the Nervous System Chapter 4: Psychopharmacology Chapter 5: Methods and Strategies of Research Chapter 6: Vision Chapter 7: Audition, the Body Senses, and the Chemical Senses Chapter 8: Sleep and Biological Rhythms Chapter 9: Reproductive Behavior Chapter 10: Emotion Chapter 11: Ingestive Behavior Chapter 12: Learning and Memory Chapter 13: Human Communication Chapter 14: Neurological Disorders Chapter 15: Schizophrenia, Affective Disorders, and Anxiety Disorders Chapter 16: Autistic, Attention-Deficit, Stress, nd Substance Abuse Disorders 2. Full Table of Contents Chapter 1: Origins of Behavioral Neuroscience Understanding Human Consciousness: A Physiological Approach The Nature of Behavioral Neuroscience Natural Selection and Evolution Ethical Issues in Research with Animals Careers in Neuroscience Strategies for Learning Chapter 2: Structure and Functions of Cells of the Nervous System Cells of the Nervous System Communication Within a Neuron Communication Between Neurons Chapter 3: Structure of the Nervous System Basic Features of the Nervous System The Central Nervous System The Peripheral Nervous System Chapter 4: Psychopharmacology Principles of Psychopharmacology Sites of Drug Action Neurotransmitters and Neuromodulators Chapter 5: Methods and Strategies of Research Experimental Ablation Recording and Stimulating Neural Activity Neurochemical Methods Genetic Methods Chapter 6: Vision The Stimulus Anatomy of the Visual System Coding of Visual Information in the Retina Analysis of Visual Information: Role of the Striate Cortex Analysis of Visual Information: Role of the Visual Association Cortex Chapter 7: Audition, the Body Senses, and the Chemical Senses Audition Vestibular System Somatosenses Gustation Olfaction Chapter 8: Sleep and Biological Rhythms A Physiological and Behavioral Description of Sleep Disorders of Sleep Why Do We Sleep? Physiological Mechanisms of Sleep and Waking Biological Clocks Chapter 9: Reproductive Behavior Sexual Development Hormonal Control of Sexual Behavior Neural Control of Sexual Behavior Parental Behavior Chapter 10: Emotion Emotions as Response Patterns Communication of Emotions Feelings of Emotions Chapter 11: Ingestive Behavior Physiological Regulatory Mechanisms Drinking Eating: Some Facts About Metabolism What Starts a Meal? What Stops a Meal? Brain Mechanisms Obesity Anorexia Nervosa/Bulimia Nervosa Chapter 12: Learning and Memory The Nature of Learning Synaptic Plasticity: Long-Term Potentiation and Long-Term Depression Perceptual Learning Classical Conditioning Instrumental Conditioning Relational Learning Chapter 13: Human Communication Speech Production and Comprehension: Brain Mechanisms Disorders of Reading and Writing Chapter 14: Neurological Disorders Tumors Seizure Disorders Cerebrovascular Accidents Traumatic Brain Injury Disorders of Development Degenerative Disorders Disorders Caused by Infectious Diseases Chapter 15: Autistic, Attention-Deficit, Stress, nd Substance Abuse Disorders Autistic Disorder Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Stress Disorders Substance Abuse Disorders Chapter 16: Schizophrenia, Affective Disorders, and Anxiety Disorders Schizophrenia Major Affective Disorders Anxiety Disorders.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781292021966 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Were you looking for the book with access to MyPsychLab? This product is the book alone, and does NOT come with access to MyPsychLab. Buy the book and access card package to save money on this resource. Foundations of Behavioral Neuroscience is an ideal choice for the instructor who wants a concise text with a good balance of human and animal studies. The ninth edition of Foundations of Behavioral Neuroscience offers a concise introduction to behavioral neuroscience. The text incorporates the latest studies and research in the rapidly changing fields of neuroscience and physiological psychology. The theme of strategies of learning helps readers apply these research findings to daily life. MyPsychLab is an integral part of the Carlson program. Key learning applications include the MyPsychLab Brain. This text is available in a variety of formats - digital and print. Pearson offers its titles on the devices students love through Pearson's MyLab products, CourseSmart, Amazon, and more. To learn more about our programs, pricing options and customization, click the Choices tab. Teaching & Learning Experience *Personalize Learning - MyPsychLab is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program. It helps students prepare for class and instructor gauge individual and class performance. *Improve Critical Thinking -Each chapter begins with a list of Learning Objectives that also serve as the framework for the Study Guide that accompanies this text. *Engage Students -An Interim Summary follows each major section of the book. The summaries provide useful reviews and also break each chapter into manageable chunks. *Explore Theory/Research - APS Reader, Current Directions in Biopsychology in MyPsychLab *Support Instructors - A full set of supplements, including MyPsychLab, provides instructors with all the resources and support they need.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781292021966 20160612
- Publication date
- "Pearson new International edition."--Cover.
- 9781292021966 (pbk.)
- 1292021969 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: