The goblin spider genus Zyngoonops (Araneae, Oonopidae), with notes on related taxa
- Wouter Fannes.
- New York, NY : American Museum of Natural History, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 117 pages : ill. (some color), maps ; 26 cm.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History ; no. 379.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 116-117).
- The goblin spider genus Zyngoonops Benoit, 1977 is revised. The type and hitherto only species, Z. clandestinus Benoit from the Democratic Republic of Congo (D.R.C.), is redescribed on the basis of topotypical material. Nine new species are described from the D.R.C. (Z. moffetti, Z. redii, Z. goedaerti, Z. rockoxi, Z. beatriceae, Z. chambersi, Z. swammerdami, Z. marki) and the Central African Republic (Z. walcotti). Members of Zyngoonops show remarkable modifications of the sternum and pedicel tube: the sternum has two heavily sclerotized posterior extensions, and the pedicel tube has a protruding ventral lip. The female genitalia are complex, consisting of an epigastric scape, two uterine sclerites, and a long genital duct. In most species, the distal part of the duct is highly coiled. Males resemble those of Antoonops Fannes and Jocqué and Coxapopha Platnick in having elaborately modified endites, a pair of pleural flaps, and a carapace with extended anterolateral corners. The type species of Coxapopha is redescribed, and new images of the female genitalia of Antoonops and Coxapopha are provided. A cladistic analysis of morphological characters provides support for the monophyly of Zyngoonops and identifies Z. redii as the most basal species of the genus.
- Zyngoonops > Classification.
- Oonopidae > Congo (Democratic Republic) > Classification.
- Oonopidae > Central African Republic > Classification.
- Spiders > Congo (Democratic Republic) > Classification.
- Spiders > Central African Republic > Classification.
- Coxapopha > Anatomy.
- Antoonops > Anatomy.
- Oonopidae > Phylogeny.
- Publication date
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History, 0003-0090 ; no. 379
- "Issued June 18, 2013."
- Part of the Goblin Spider Planetary Biodiversity Inventory project.
- Also available online.
Browse related items
Start at call number: