Cadmium : from toxicity to essentiality
- Astrid Sigel, Helmut Sigel, Roland K.O. Sigel, editors.
- Dordrecht : Springer, 
- Physical description
- xxxvi, 560 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm.
- Metal ions in life sciences v. 11.
Biology Library (Falconer)
|RA1231 .C3 C33 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The bioinorganic chemistry of cadmium in the context of its toxicity / Wolfgang Maret, Jean-Marc Moulis
- Biogeochemistry of cadmium and its release to the enviroment / Jay T. Cullen, Maria T. Maldonado
- Speciation of cadmium in the enviroment / Francesco Crea, Claudia Foti, Demetrio Milea
- Determination of cadmium in biological samples / Katrin Klotz, Wobbeke Weistenhöfer, Hans Drexler
- Imaging and sensing of cadmium in cells / Masayasu Taki
- Use of 113Cd NMR to probe the native metal binding sites in metalloproteins: an overview / Ian M. Armitage, Torbjörn Drakenberg, Brian Reilly
- Solid state structures of cadmium complexes with relevance for biological systems / Rosa Carballo, Alfonso Castiñeiras
- Complex formation of cadmium with sugar residues nucleobases, phosphates, nucleotides, and nucleic acids / Roland K.O. Sigel, Miriam Skilandat
- Cadmium(II) complexes of amino acides and peptides / Imre Sóvágó, Katalin Várnagy
- Natural and artificial proteins containing cadmium / Anna F.A. Peacock, Vincent L. Pecoraro
- Cadmium in metallothioneins / Eva Freisinger, Milan Vašák
- Cadmium-accumulating plants / Hendrik Küpper, Barbara Leitenmaier
- Cadmium in toxicity in plants / Elisa Andresen, Hendrik Küpper
- Toxicology of cadmium and its damage to mammalian organs / Frank Thévenod, Wing-Kee Lee
- Cadmium and cancer / Andrea Hartwig
- Cadmium in marine phytoplankton / Yan Xu, François M.M. Morel.
- Publisher's Summary
- Volume 11 provides in an authoritative and timely manner in 16 stimulating chapters, written by 40 internationally recognized experts from 11 nations, and supported by more than 2600 references, 35 tables, and over 100 illustrations, many in color, a most up-to-date view on the role of cadmium for life, presently a vibrant research area. MILS-11 covers the bioinorganic chemistry of Cd(II), its biogeochemistry, anthropogenic release into the environment, and speciation in the atmosphere, waters, soils, and sediments. The analytical tools for Cd determination, its imaging in cells, and the use of 113Cd NMR to probe Zn(II) and Ca(II) proteins are summarized, as are Cd(II) interactions with nucleotides, nucleic acids, amino acids, and proteins including metallothioneins. The phytoremediation by Cd(II)-accumulating plants, etc., the toxicology of Cd(II), its damage to mammalian organs, and its role as a carcinogen for humans, are highlighted.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789400751781 20160612
- Publication date
- Metal ions in life sciences, 1559-0836 ; v. 11
- 9789400751781 (alk. paper)
- 9400751788 (alk. paper)
- 9789400751798 (e-Book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: