Biology : life on earth with physiology
- Audesirk, Audesirk, Byers.
- 10th ed., Pearson new international ed.
- Harlow : Pearson Education Limited, c2014.
- Physical description
- iv, 1,038 p. : col. ill. ; 28 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. An Introduction to Life on Earth I. THE LIFE OF THE CELL 2. Atoms, Molecules, and Life 3. Biological Molecules 4. Cell Structure and Function 5. Cell Membrane Structure and Function 6. Energy Flow in the Life of a Cell 7. Capturing Solar Energy: Photosynthesis 8. Harvesting Energy: Glycolysis and Cellular Respiration II. INHERITANCE 9. The Continuity of Life: Cellular Reproduction 10. Patterns of Inheritance 11. DNA: The Molecule of Heredity 12. Gene Expression and Regulation III. EVOLUTION AND DIVERSITY OF LIFE 14. Principles of Evolution 15. How Populations Evolve 16. The Origin of Species 17. The History of Life 18. Systematics: Seeking Order Amid Diversity 19. The Diversity of Prokaryotes and Viruses 20. The Diversity of Protists 21. The Diversity of Plants 22. The Diversity of Fungi 23. Animal Diversity I: Invertebrates 24. Animal Diversity II: Vertebrates IV. BEHAVIOR AND ECOLOGY 25. Animal Behavior 26. Population Growth and Regulation 27. Community Interactions 28. Energy Flow and Nutrient Cycling in Ecosystems 29. Earth's Diverse Ecosystems 30. Conserving Earth's Biodiversity V. ANIMAL ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY 31. Homeostasis and the Organization of the Animal Body 32. Circulation 33. Respiration 34. Nutrition and Digestion 35. The Urinary System 36. Defense Against Disease 37. Chemical Control of the Animal Body: The Endocrine System 38. The Nervous System 39. The Senses 40. Action and Support: The Muscles and Skeleton 41. Animal Reproduction 42. Animal Development VI. PLANT ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY 43. Plant Anatomy and Nutrient Transport 44. Plant Reproduction and Development 45. Plant Responses to the Environment 46. Biotechnology Biology Life on Earth, Tenth Edition includes Chapters 1-30 Biology Life on Earth with Physiology, Tenth Edition includes Chapters 1-45.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781292026312 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Biology: Life on Earth with Physiology, Tenth Edition continues this book's tradition of engaging non-majors biology students with real-world applications, high-interest case studies, and inquiry-based pedagogy that fosters a lifetime of discovery and scientific literacy. Maintaining the friendly writing style that has made the book a best-seller, the Tenth Edition continues to incorporate true and relevant stories using a chapter-opening Case Study that is revisited throughout the chapter and concluded at the end of the chapter. New to the Tenth Edition are Learning Goals and Check Your Learning questions that help students assess their understanding of the core concepts in biology. To increase the book's focus on health science, additional Health Watch essays are provided throughout units, and more anatomy & physiology content has been incorporated into the main narrative. Other highlights include new or revised Consider This questions, Have You Ever Wondered? Questions, and MasteringBiology. For courses not covering plant and animal anatomy & physiology, an alternate version-Biology: Life on Earth, Tenth Edition-is also available.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781292026312 20160612
- Publication date
- 9781292026312 (pbk.)
- 1292026316 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: