Biology : science for life
- C. Belk, V. Border Maier.
- 4th ed., Pearson new international ed.
- Harlow, Essex, England : Pearson Education, c2014.
- Physical description
- 718 pages : colour illustrations, colour maps ; 28 cm
- Belk, Colleen M.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Can Science Cure the Common Cold? Introduction to the Scientific Method I. Chemistry and Cells 2. Are We Alone in the Universe? Water, Biochemistry, and Cells 3. Is it Possible to Supplement Your Way to Better Health? Nutrients and Membrane Transport 4. Fat: How Much is Right for You? Enzymes, Metabolism, and Cellular Respiration 5. Life in the Greenhouse-Photosynthesis and Global Warming II. Genetics 6. Cancer-DNA Synthesis, Mitosis, and Meiosis 7. Are You Only as Smart as Your Genes? Mendelian and Quantitative Genetics 8. DNA Detective-Complex Patterns of Inheritance and DNA Fingerprinting 9. Genetically Modified Organisms-Gene Expression, Mutation, and Cloning III. Evolution 10. Where Did We Come From? The Evidence for Evolution 11. An Evolving Enemy-Natural Selection 12. Who am I? Species and Race 13. Prospecting for Biological Gold-Biodiversity and Classification IV. Ecology 14. Is the Human Population Too Large? Population Ecology 15. Conserving Biodiversity-Community and Ecosystem Ecology 16. Where Do You Live? Climate and Biomes V. Animal Structure and Function 17. Organ Donation-Tissues, Organs, and Organ Systems 18. Clearing the Air-Respiratory, Cardiovascular, and Urinary Systems 19. Vaccinations: Protection and Prevention or Peril? Immune System, Bacteria, Viruses, and Other Pathogens 20. Sex Differences and Athleticism-Endocrine, Skeletal, and Muscular Systems 21. Is There Something in the Water? Reproductive and Developmental Biology 22. Attention Deficit Disorder-Brain Structure and Function VI. Plant Biology 23. Feeding the World-Plant Structure and Growth 24. Growing a Green Thumb-Plant Physiology.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Were you looking for the book with access to MasteringBiology? This product is the book alone, and does NOT come with access to MasteringBiology. Buy the book and access card package to save money on this resource. Coleen Belk and Virginia Borden Maier have helped students demystify biology for nearly twenty years in the classroom and nearly ten years with their book, Biology: Science for Life with Physiology. In the new Fourth Edition, they continue to use stories and current issues, such as discussion of cancer to teach cell division, to connect biology to student's lives. Learning Outcomes are new to this edition and integrated within the book to help professors guide students' reading and to help students assess their understanding of biology. A new Chapter 3, "Is It Possible to Supplement Your Way to Better Health? Nutrients and Membrane Transport, " offers an engaging storyline and focused coverage on micro- and macro-nutrients, antioxidants, passive and active transport, and exocytosis and endocytosis. This package contains: * Biology: Science for Life with Physiology, Fourth Edition.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781292023274 (Paper)
- 1292023279 (Paper)
- 9781292036441 (e-book)
- 1292036443 (e-book)