Getting to the core of literacy for history, social studies, science, and technical subjects, grades 6-12
- Vicky M. Giouroukakis, Maureen Connolly.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin ; London : SAGE [distributor], 2013.
- Physical description
- x, 253 p. : ill. ; 28 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1576 .G457 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 243-246) and index.
- Introduction: How to Use This Book Overview of Chapters Lesson Format Lesson Selection Best Practices Part I. Reading Standards for Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects 1. Understanding the CCSS: An Overview What Are the CCSS for Literacy in the Content Areas? How Can We Use Backward Design to Create Curriculum that Addresses the CCSS for Literacy in the Content Areas? How Do the CCSS for Literacy in the Content Areas and Backwards Design Relate to the Theories of Dewey, Bloom and Gardner? 2. The Benefits of the CCSS for the Teaching of Reading in the Content Areas 3. Reading Lessons in History/Social Studies 6-12 Key Ideas and Details Nationalism: THe Good, the Bad, the Ugly (U.S. History, Grades 6-8) Craft and Structure Social Causes of New Imperialism (World History, Grades 9-10) Integration of Knowledge and Ideas Vietnam: The Human Face of an Inhumane Time (US History, Grades 11-12) 4. Reading Lessons in Science and Technical Subjects Key Ideas and Details Bonus Science Articles (Biology, Grades 11-12) Craft and Structure Vocabulary Videos (Computer Apps, Grades 9-10) Integration of Knowledge and Ideas Continental Drift (Earth Science, Grades 6-8) Part II. Writing Standards for Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects 5. The Benefits of the CCSS for the Teaching of Writing in the Content Areas 6. Argument Writing Lessons Social Studies Mock Trial: Native Americans & European Colonization ( U.S. History, Grades 6-8) Science Boyle's Law (Chemistry, Grades 9-10) Technical Subjects Fantasy Basketball (Sports Marketing, Grades 11-12) 7. Informative/Explanatory Writing Lessons Technical Subjects Math in Everyday Life (Math, Grades 6-8) Science Earth Day (Earth Science, Grades 9-10) Social Studies The Montgomery Bus Boycott (U.S. History, Grades 11-12) 8. Ensuring Success With the CCSS for Literacy in the Content Areas What are Best Practices for Addressing the CCSS for Literacy in the Content Areas? Success Stories Involving Content Area Teachers Working Together Accessing Support Through Technology Ten Tips for Getting to the Core of the Common Core for Literacy in the Content Areas Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book helps content-area teachers develop a clear understanding of the the Common Core State Standards for Reading and Writing in History/Social Studies, Science, and the Technical Subjects Giouroukakis and Connolly provide sample CCSS-based content-area lessons from real teachers in the field. Their in-depth analysis of these lessons will help educators develop their own CCSS-aligned subject-specific lessons.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781452255446 (pbk.)
- 145225544X (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: