Behind the academic curtain : how to find success and happiness with a PhD
- Frank F. Furstenberg.
- Chicago ; London : The University of Chicago Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvi, 186 pages ; 23 cm.
- Chicago guides to academic life.
- Furstenberg, Frank F., 1940- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Entering graduate school
- An academic career or not?
- Being an assistant professor
- Academic midlife
- The endgame.
- Publisher's Summary
- More people than ever are going to graduate school to seek a PhD these days. When they get there, they discover a bewildering environment: a rapid immersion in their discipline, keen competition for resources, and uncertain options for their future, whether inside or outside of academia. Life with a PhD can begin to resemble an unsolvable puzzle. In Behind the Academic Curtain, Frank F. Furstenberg offers a clear and user-friendly map to this maze. Drawing on decades of experience in academia, he provides a comprehensive, empirically grounded, and, most important of all, practical guide to academic life. While the greatest anxieties for PhD candidates and postgrads are often centered on getting that tenure-track dream job, each stage of an academic career poses a series of distinctive problems. Furstenberg divides these stages into five chapters that cover the entire trajectory of an academic life, including how to make use of a PhD outside of academia. From finding the right job to earning tenure, from managing teaching loads to conducting research, from working on committees to easing into retirement, he illuminates all the challenges and opportunities an academic can expect to encounter. Each chapter is designed for easy consultation, with copious signposts, helpful suggestions, and a bevy of questions that all academics should ask themselves throughout their career, whether at a major university, junior college, or a non-academic organization. An honest and up-to-date portrayal of how this life really works, Behind the Academic Curtain is an essential companion for any scholar, at any stage of his or her career.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Chicago guides to academic life
- 9780226066073 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 022606607X (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780226066103 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 022606610X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780226066240 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: