Energy : its use and the environment
- Roger A. Hinrichs, Merlin Kleinbach.
- 5th ed.
- Boston, MA : Brooks/Cole ; Andover : Cengage Learning [distributor], 2013.
- Physical description
- xv, 575 p. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
Engineering Library (Terman)
|TJ163.9 .H55 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Introduction. 2. Energy Mechanics. 3. Conservation of Energy. 4. Heat and Work. 5. Home Energy Conservation and Heat-Transfer Control. 6. Solar Energy: Characteristics and Heating. 7. Energy from Fossil Fuels. 8. Air Pollution and Energy Use. 9. Global Warming and Thermal Pollution. 10. Electricity: Circuits and Superconductors. 11. Electromagnetism and the Generation of Electricity. 12. Electricity from Solar, Wind, and Hydro. 13. The Building Blocks of Matter: 14. Nuclear Power: Fission. 15. Effects and Uses of Radiation. 16. Future Energy Alternatives: Fusion. 17. Biomass: From Plants to Garbage. 18. Tapping the Earth's Heat: Geothermal Energy. 19. A National and Personal Commitment. Appendix A: Units of Measurement and Powers of Ten Notation. Appendix B: Conversions and Equivalencies. Appendix C: Home Heating Analysis. Appendix D: Insolation and Temperature Data for Selected U.S. Cities. Appendix E: World Energy Consumption, 2009. Appendix F: U.S. Consumption of Energy by Source, 1949-2009. Appendix G: U.S. Energy Intensity, 1970-2009. Glossary. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781133109020 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- What is the impact of such energy issues as global warming, radioactive waste, and municipal solid waste on the individual and society? "Energy: Its Uses And The Environment, 5/e, International Edition" answers these questions, emphasizing the physical principles behind energy and its effects on our environment, and explaining the basic physical principles behind the use of energy, including the study of mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and atomic and nuclear physics. By placing energy issues within the context of everyday examples and asking you to define and support critical arguments, "Energy: Its Uses And The Environment, 5e, International Edition" offers a provocative approach to this crucial issue.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781133109020 20160612
- Publication date
- Previous ed.: 2006.
- Available in another form
- Online version: Hinrichs, Roger, 1941- Energy. 4th ed. Belmont, CA : Thomson, Brooks/Cole, c2006
- 9781111990831 (pbk.)
- 1111990832 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: