On the practice of safety [electronic resource]
- Fred A. Manuele.
- 4th ed.
- Hoboken, New Jersey : John Wiley & Sons Inc., 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (pages cm.)
- Manuele, Fred A.
- Preface ix Acknowledgments xiii Introduction 1 1 On Becoming a Profession 11 2 Defining the Practice of Safety 27 3 Principles for the Practice of Safety: A Basis for Discussion 43 4 Academic and Skill Requirements for the Practice of Safety 63 5 Transitions Affecting the Practice of Safety 80 6 Acceptable Risk 102 7 Superior Safety Performance: A Reflection of an Organization's Culture 125 8 Improving Serious Injury and Fatality Prevention 148 9 Management of Change/Prejob Planning 173 10 Reviewing Heinrich: Dislodging Two Myths from the Practice of Safety 234 11 Indirect-to-Direct Accident Cost Ratios 257 12 On Leading and Lagging Indicators 277 13 Systemic Socio-Technical Causation Model for Hazards-Related Incidents 293 14 Incident Investigation: Studies of Quality 316 15 Designer Incident Investigation 329 16 Safety Professionals and the Design Process: Opportunities 354 17 Guidelines: Designing for Safety 367 18 Prevention through Design: The Standard 388 19 System Safety: The Concept 408 20 Applied Ergonomics: Significance and Opportunity 428 21 On Quality Management and the Practice of Safety 453 22 Lean Concepts: Opportunities for Safety Professionals 471 23 Sustainability 491 24 Operational Risk Management Audits 511 25 Measurement of Safety Performance 535 26 A Short Course on Financial Management 562 Index 579.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118574683 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Now in its fourth edition, On the Practice of Safety continues to be an unparalleled resource on best safety practices. It supplies the reader with the core information that everyone who is in the safety field must know. Each chapter is written as a self-contained unit that can be used on its own to cover a topic. The new edition updates all the chapters from the previous edition while adding new material. A number of new chapters cover such topics as sustainability, lean concepts, management of change/pre-job planning, leading and lagging indicators, and indirect and direct accident costs.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118574683 20160612
- Publication date
- Includes index.
- Available in another form
- Print version: Manuele, Fred A. On the practice of safety. 4th ed. Hoboken, New Jersey : John Wiley & Sons Inc.,  ( 9781118478943 )
- 9781118574782 (electronic bk.)
- 1118574788 (electronic bk.)
- 9781118574683 (electronic bk.)
- 1118574680 (electronic bk.)