College-ready : preparing black and Latina/o youth for higher education, a culturally relevant approach
- Michelle G. Knight, Joanne E. Marciano ; foreword by Ronald S. Rochon.
- New York : Teachers College Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 154 pages ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC2779 .K55 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 133-143) and index.
- Introduction: creating a culturally relevant, schoolwide, college-going culture
- It's (not) too early: negotiating mixed messages
- Promoting college readiness through teachers' and counselors' culturally relevant pedagogies
- Creating possibilities: black males' and Latinos' (non- )successful negotiations of -high-stakes testing and extracurricular activities
- Critical literacies and family involvement: envisioning black females' and Latinas' college and career-ready futures
- Culturally relevant peer groups, friendships, and college support.
- Publisher's Summary
- This book will support teachers, counsellors, and administrators in creating a culturally relevant, school-wide, college-going culture to improve educational experiences and outcomes for Black and Latina/o youth. The authors present the perspectives and experiences of 25 students, focusing on the complexities of their daily lives and illuminating some of the significant influences that have supported or hindered their college readiness and access. They situate issues of college access in a national context, provide insight into who and what influences youth's college-going processes, and engage readers in critical analysis to create culturally relevant policies and practices within their own school contexts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780807754139 20160612
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780807754122 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807754129 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780807754139 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0807754137 (hardcover : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: