Please allow me to introduce myself : essays on debut albums
- edited by George Plasketes.
- Farnham, Surrey, England ; Burlington, VT, USA : Ashgate Publishing, 
- Physical description
- xix, 250 pages ; 24 cm.
- Ashgate popular and folk music series.
Archive of Recorded Sound
ML3477.1 .P54 2013
- Unknown ML3477.1 .P54 2013
- Plasketes, George editor of compilation.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -244) and index.
- Contents: Introduction: the first cut is the deepest, George Plasketes-- Lubbock or leave it: Buddy Holly, Norman Petty and the 'chirping' Crickets, George H. Lewis-- Good time rollers: Little Richard and Huey 'Piano' Smith, B. Lee Cooper and William L. Schurk-- Joan Baez: the classic 1960s folk heroine, Jerome Rodnitzky-- From Roger and Out to Dang Me/Chug A Lug: Roger Miller's debut, Don Cusic-- Midnight in Memphis with the wicked Pickett, B. Lee Cooper-- Jackson C. Frank: play the game of carnival, Edward Whitelock-- What time has told me about Nick Drake's Five Leaves Left, Kevin Holm-Hudson-- The voice of the Quiet One: George Harrison: All Things Must Pass, Ian Inglis-- 'That's it': Willis Alan Ramsay, the ballad of a cosmic cowboy, George Plasketes-- New York Dolls: 'Ridin' right on the subway train', Thomas M. Kitts-- Warren Zevron: Asylum IconocLAst, George Plasketes-- 'Chasing after vengeance': Elvis Costello's initial aim, David Janssen-- Steve Forbert, Alive on Arrival from meridian to Manhattan: Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer and the next 'new Dylan', George Plasketes-- Ready for the House: Jandek's inert unveiling, Nicole Marchesseau-- Rickie Lee Jones: 'acquired a cool and inspired sorta jazz', George Plasketes-- Metallica kills, Deena Weinstein-- ' I know someday you'll have a beautiful life': Pearl Jam's Ten and the road to authenticity, Marcello Giovanelli-- LeAnne Rimes Blue: a country star in the making, Sarita Stewart-- Third Eye Blind: reluctantly voicing the 1990s, Josh Hillyer-- Dap-dippin' independent tradition: the rebirth of rhythm and blues, Andrew Davis-- Pilfering the past or postmodern punks?: The Libertines' Up the Bracket, Micah Rueber-- Cinematic fantastic sampledic funky found sound sifting: The Go! Team's Thunder, Lightning, Strike, George Plasketes and River Plasketes-- Appendices-- Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Debut albums are among the cultural artifacts that capture the popular imagination especially well. As a first impression, the debut album may take on a mythical status, whether the artist or group achieves enduring success or in rare cases when an initial record turns out to be an apogee for an artist. Whatever the subsequent career trajectory, the debut album is a meaningful text that can be scrutinized for its revelatory signs and the expectations that follow. Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself: Essays on Debut Albums tells the stories of 23 debut albums over a nearly fifty year span, ranging from Buddy Holly and the Crickets in 1957 to The Go! Team in 2004. In addition to biographical background and a wealth of historical information about the genesis of the album, each essay looks back at the album and places it within multiple contexts, particularly the artist's career development. In this way, the book will be of as much interest to sociologists and historians as to culture critics and musicologists.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- [Ashgate popular and folk music series]
- 9781409441762 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1409441768 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781409441779 (ebook)
- 1409441776 (ebook)
- 9781472402806 (epub)
- 1472402804 (epub)