Mosquitoes of the southeastern United States
- Burkett-Cadena, Nathan D.
- Tuscaloosa, Ala. : University of Alabama Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- xiii, 188 p. : ill. (chiefly col.), col. maps ; 30 cm
QL536 .B916 2013 F
- Unknown QL536 .B916 2013 F
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 185) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- "Mosquitoes of the Southeastern United States" is a full-color, highly illustrated guide to the sixty-four known species of mosquitoes in eleven genera that populate the South--from the Gulf Coastal states to the Carolinas. In addition to detailed and fully illustrated identification keys for both larvae and adults, "Mosquitoes of the Southeastern United States"""includes information on the mosquito's lifecycle, interaction with humans, and biological diversity in the southeast. This area of the country has a rich mosquito fauna with diverse species ranging from the tiny pitcher plant mosquito to the brilliantly colored cannibal mosquito. Close-up photographs of live adults showcase their widely varied and beautiful bodies while remarkable images made with the aid of a microaquarium reveal the differences in larval stages of the subjects. For each species described, Nathan D. Burkett-Cadena provides biological information including distribution maps, habitat associations of the larvae and adults, range of animals fed upon, and importance from a medical standpoint.This book's usefulness to mosquito control programs in the Southeast and beyond cannot be overstated. Not only for native species, but for new species introduced from exotic locales, mosquitoes must be properly identified in order to know how best to control them. This volume will also be valuable to medical and public health specialists working on mosquito-borne diseases, such as malaria, dengue, yellow fever, West Nile virus, and filariasis."Mosquitoes of the Southeastern United States" is the first guide to integrate full-color photography, illustrated keys, and current information on the biology of mosquitoes into one definitive resource.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Nathan D. Burkett-Cadena.
- 9780817317812 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0817317813 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780817386481 (ebook)
- 0817386483 (ebook)