Reptiles and amphibians of the Pacific Islands : a comprehensive guide
- George R. Zug.
- Berkeley : University of California Press, 
- Physical description
- x, 306 pages, 70 pages of plates : illustrations (some color), maps ; 23 cm
Biology Library (Falconer)
|QL664 .A1 Z84 2013||Unknown|
- Zug, George R., 1938-
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Preface Introduction Island & Island Group Herpetofaunas Recognizing Species Identification Plates Acknowledgements Checklist Indices.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780520274969 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- The Pacific is not only the world's largest body of water; its vast expanse also includes an extraordinary number and diversity of oceanic islands, from Palau and the Marianas east of the Philippines to Cocos Island and the Galapagos west of the Americas. The isolation of these islands and the extreme distances between them long prevented scientists from studying their floras and faunas in a comparative context. But now George R. Zug, one of the world's foremost experts on the diverse reptiles and amphibians of the Pacific Basin, offers the first such systematic overview in more than half a century. Reptiles and Amphibians of the Pacific Islands is a compendium of frogs, lizards, snakes, and turtles living on these lands and in the adjacent waters of the oceanic islands in the tropical Pacific. The means to identify each species is included, along with entries that describe each animal's form, coloration, habitat, distribution, reproductive biology, and natural history. Color plates of more than 75 percent of the species also help to facilitate visual identification. This accessible and informative guide is the most comprehensive field guide available and will appeal to both novice sightseers and professional naturalists.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780520274969 20160612
- Publication date
- 9780520274952 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0520274954 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780520274969 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0520274962 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: